Observer

transparent proxy

[ Edited ]

Is anyone aware of Spectrum intercepting DNS lookups. My OpenDNS content filtering has broken because of this. I have setup OpenDNS IP addresses as DNS servers in my router configuration. However all my DNS lookups are being serviced by the TWC DNS cache servers.

You can test this for yourself by going to this link:  https:x//www.dnsleaktest.com/

If it comes back with the DNS servers that you don't recognize (as your VPN server or the one you have setup lik OpenDNS), then your DNS lookups are being intecepted by Spectrum.   

Funny thing is if you update the DNS server information in your router or reboot the modem then the DNS servers you have set, will work for a while (day or two), after which it will slide back to the TWC DNS cache servers. I have contacted  Spectrum chat twice and both times it didn't result into any solution. They were clueless and the chat box hung up to the point I had to end the sessions.

What are you doing to avoid this problem other than using VPN?

8 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: transparent proxy

amg wrote:

Is anyone aware of Spectrum intercepting DNS lookups. My OpenDNS content filtering has broken because of this. I have setup OpenDNS IP addresses as DNS servers in my router configuration. However all my DNS lookups are being serviced by the TWC DNS cache servers.

You can test this for yourself by going to this link:  https://www.dnsleaktest.com/

If it comes back with the DNS servers that you don't recognize (as your VPN server or the one you have setup lik OpenDNS), then your DNS lookups are being intecepted by Spectrum.   

Funny thing is if you update the DNS server information in your router or reboot the modem then the DNS servers you have set, will work for a while (day or two), after which it will slide back to the TWC DNS cache servers. I have contacted  Spectrum chat twice and both times it didn't result into any solution. They were clueless and the chat box hung up to the point I had to end the sessions.

What are you doing to avoid this problem other than using VPN?

If you are renting your modem or gateway from Spectrum they have the right to require you to use their DNS, and to periodically reprogram your rented modem and/or gateway accordingly.  Open DNS does not correctly route your data through the TWC-Spectrum transport network layer to the IXP exit points.  That causes excessive packet resends and increased 'ping' congestion delays for all subscribers.

Expert

Thereare no local interconnect points and running thru a VPN doesn't really shorten anything as you still are routing thru the same TWC/ RoadRunner pipeline to get to the IP transport providers... To get to your next door neighbor o lets say Uverse, you still need to go thru 15-20 hops and all other DNS lookupts have to do the same.

The TWC one at 209.18.47.61/62 is the most efficient as it will rerout out of congested TWC/RR servers to less congested ones.

Observer

Karl, I am not renting the modem from Spectrum.

I lost you on the second part. 

Observer

[ Edited ]

MsRaye, I a not sure if you have responded to my post Smiley Happy

Expert

What is the DNS listed in your network connection on each device?

Sounds like it's 209.18.47.61/62...

All DNS has to be routed through it at TWC/RR is a pipeline with no local exit lpoints to transport ISP's (the backbone) and there's no advantage using one other than theirs.

Observer

My devices are not setup with DNS server info. I have configured it at the router level.  OpenDNS server IPS are as follows:

Anyways, here is an update. since I have rebooted my modem this afternoon. It has been working fine as expected. I will keep an eye on it to see when it defaults back to TWC servers. Fingers crossed Smiley Happy

Established Sharer

[ Edited ]

amg wrote:

Karl, I am not renting the modem from Spectrum.

I lost you on the second part. 

I said just about the same thing that MsRaye did:  You need to use the TWC-Spectrum servers, since they are the only ones that know the proper routing inside TWC's transport network to connect to an IXP (Internet eXchange Provider) connection poiint.  And, by the way, there are only a handful of those in the USA for the entire Spectrum system.   If you are trying to reach a server in Seattle, the IXP your data uses could be in Chicago IL, Arlington or Alexandria VA, New York City, or LA CA.  In any case it ain't a direct pipeline from your house to Seattle! 

AFTER your data passes the IXP onto the WWWeb, those 3rd party DNS servers pick out a route pointing toward the server you have targeted.  Their IP routing tables all get updated at least once a day with identical changes, THEN it's up to each IXP to decide how your data gets to Seattle over THEIR network. 

If you program your network devices to use a 3rd party DNS server and that results in your data creating throughput issues that affect other TWC-Spectrum users, you can be told to either use their DNS or find a different internet provider. 

Observer

So what do you suggest I specify in the DNS server configuration of my router for content filtering by OpenDNS?