Re: YOUTUBE BUFFERING PROBLEMS

Thanks for taking the time to voice your concerns here guys. I'm hoping more and more people find this thread and do the same. It's becoming clearer and clearer that Spectrum is throttling youtube. Smiley Mad

Newcomer

[ Edited ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92vuuZt7wak

This video might help you guys out on what's going on with the speeds. If you want a quick answer then start from 2:30-3:12. I don't know if this is the exact answer to what's going on with terrible YouTube speeds, but something tells me that this might me it.

Newcomer

I am also experiencing this issue with YouTube videos. The second I switch to 1080p, the buffering becomes atrocious. I am currently getting speeds of 100 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up according to SpeedTest, so there's no way this should even be an issue. I'm located in San Diego (Rancho Penasquitos).
Observer

You can practically copy n paste your post for me as well. Except I'm in Canoga park, CA. I have the exact same plan and the exact same issues started cropping up 3 days ago. Whether I'm hardwired or wifi (any device). On desktop hardwired I get similar connection speeds that you mentioned 1000Kbps-4000Kbps (nerd stats). I can't watch anything above 360/480p anymore. HOWEVER, I can do high end online gaming on my PC or console and watch 1080p twitch streams. Netflix 1080p works fine as well or Amazon Prime streaming.

Rookie

[ Edited ]

DTLA here and for the past couple weeks Youtube is clearly being throttled on my 110/11mbps Spectrum Internet. I can download Movies off Vudu/Patches on Mac/Zip at full speed but can't play a minute long video at anything above 480P without buffering hell. These guys are lucky or they know they have most of us by the throat considering there isn't much competition in my area.   THIS BLOWS considering the highway robbery prices of their packages.

N/A

[ Edited ]

Same here at Torrance CA. Buffering goes as low as 400kpbs although for whatever reason there's a handful of video that buffers super fast. It's been like this for three weeks now and I've called TW/Spectrum and they did not find any problem. Every other service like streaming, downloading, etc works fine at full speed. After searching I found a thread at youtube's subreddit at Reddit where a Google engineer knows about the problem and is trying to fix it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/youtube/comments/6lz13i/how_is_it_that_youtube_cant_play_244p_and_buffers/

The Google person is crschmidt and he/she wrote:

"If you're on Spectrum/Charter/TWC, in the California/LA area, and having this problem, please right click on the player (during a bad time), click "Get Debug Info", and paste the results. I have evidence of this problem on the YouTube logs, but I could use help identifying what the source of the problem is. (At the moment, I'm concerned that a severe loss in throughput around 10pm Pacific time is caused by something that isn't on the YouTube side, but on the spectrum side, but I'm still trying to work that out.)"

Rookie

Im having the exact same problem as everyone. Im in Los Angeles (Venice area). Everything works fast and fine except YouTube and Netflix. This is not acceptable.

Same youtube buffering problem here (San Diego.)

On the 300/20 plan. Wired / Cat7. Getting 30+ MB/sec downloads from Steam. Speed tests achieve the full 300mbits speed.

Youtube debug stats while buffering is happening show ~800Kbps "connection speed".

Newcomer

Same problem here. San Diego (92126). I never had this issue with TimeWarner, but ever since it was acquired by spectirum the YouTube issue seems to be getting worse and worse. 

Now everything buffers for 30+ seconds, then starts at 280p... If i'm lucky, it bumps to 720p.  It's awful on the 4k screen. 

Every other site works fine.  What is going on?  The second Google or AT&T offer a viable alternative, i'm leaving. 

Newcomer

[ Edited ]

Santa Monica here.  Same problems as reported across the board.  I'm not really interested in running all those test the Mod suggested, because I think it would have little to do with changing, what I guess, was an internal throttling decision.

I will respond to the Google Tech though.