Highlighted
Newcomer

Website Blocked on Some Browsers.

[ Edited ]

(Separated from http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Web-Browsing/Website-Blocked-on-Some-Browsers/m-p/87461#U87461     This is an old thread)

I have not recently moved or changed my website. This is seriously uncool of Time Warner. It is not a problem on your computer or browser, as adjusting the preferences settings may fix the problem for you, but it is not going to fix the problem of your website's visitors also being redirected when the try to go to you. 

Obviously something is seriously wrong with this dnrsearch service if it is blocking actual websites. It's like they are not even sending out a search for a site, but just assuming a website doesn't exist and diverting traffic to a page they make money on.

3 REPLIES
Spectrum Employee

Re: Website Blocked on Some Browsers.

I believe you have a misunderstanding of how reaching specific websites work. If a website is not in every DNS that exists (TWC has their own DNS, Google, AT&T, etc.), then people using that specific DNS will not be able to reach your website. Your website is not based on its name. The name gets associated to an IP address that is the actual location of the website, and if it is not updated in all DNS's, you will get sent to the dnsrsearch.com website. If you or other people are having trouble getting to your website and getting a dns redirect, you need to reach out to your webhost to make sure they get registries updated.

I am a Spectrum employee but my posts are my own thoughts and opinions
Newcomer

I have no idea why this thread was split from the original post, as my comment makes little sense except as a reply.

But I don't think the above TWC poster has any idea what he is talking about, as I will adress in a post in my actual thread.

Newcomer

Your idea that that webhosts need to register domains with all the DNS servers around the world is not true. The webhosts register them in a central place and DNS servers need to regularly go to them and update their lists, not the other way around. And if they don't have a website address in their database they are supposed to ask other DNS servers to help find it, not take a shortcut to an error page. 

Here is a helpful webpage explaining how the nuts and bolts work:

http://web.stanford.edu/class/msande91si/www-spr04/readings/week1/Howstuffworks.htm

Here is a short version copy and paste quote:

DNS servers accept requests from programs and other name servers to convert domain names into IP addresses. When a request comes in, the DNS server can do one of four things with it:

1. It can answer the request with an IP address because it already knows the IP address for the requested domain.
  2. It can contact another DNS server and try to find the IP address for the name requested. It may have to do this multiple times.
  3. It can say, "I don't know the IP address for the domain you requested, but here's the IP address for a DNS server that knows more than I do."
  4. It can return an error message because the requested domain name is invalid or does not exist.

It seems to me like TWC DNS server did 1. and 4. above, concluding that if it was not already included on their server that it must not exist. As a very helpful comenter above pointed out, no other DNS servers were having trouble resolving the website except TWC.