Rookie

Unable to connect to a specific web site.

[ Edited ]

I have been unable to connect to a website (WoWHead) since yesterday 7-26-17. I have been connecting to this website for the last 7 years. When I do attempt to connect I get the following error:

This site can’t provide a secure connection

Sent an invalid response.
Try running Windows Network Diagnostics.
ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR

I have contacted the website itself and they are experiencing no issues. I can connect to the site with my cell phone. I have ensured that my Chrome browser is up to date, turned off all extensions, and even tried to access the site through IE and Edge. I get the same error, no matter what I try to use to access the site. I flushed my DNS cache and cookies, all with no success. I am at a loss as to how to resolve this issue. 

5 REPLIES
Valued Participant

Re: Unable to connect to a specific web site.

[ Edited ]

I connected with no issues, have you tried all of this?

[removed]

Rookie

[ Edited ]

Yep went through all of that, but the issue is not only on Chrome. I cannot connect using IE or Edge as well. I have not added any new programs to my computer in the last month.  My wifes computer cannot connect either. So it is not localized to just my machine. 

Expert

[ Edited ]

try a public dns like 8.8.8.8, then

reset your dns and webpage caches.

Rookie

Did all of that, reset the DNS to 8.8.8.8 and to 8.8.4.4 both. I think that I have narrowed it down to an issue with my router. I have a Netgear WNDR4500 router, I removed the drop that goes to my computer and hooked it directly into the modem. Everything worked perfectly then. I went through and reset the router to factory defaults, with the same results afterwards. I am currently looking at new routers. Hopefully that will fix the issue. 

Just as an aside, I installed FireFox to see what that would do. Wow I had issues even connecting to Mozilla's homepage with it. But when I had my computer connected directly to the modem, worked great. 

Expert

[ Edited ]

Did you set the router to autodetect wan settings and turn on the network time server and correct time zone?

and umm, what model # modem are you using and is it a TWC or a spectrum lease?