Rookie

Re: Time Warner Cable is hijacking my website!

Interesting reads. Thanks for the links. I suggest going through your TOS with TW and see if you might have agreed to use features like this one. You can always change your DNS servers to public ones such as google's. Just understand that if user 'A' is on Comcast and Comcast's DNS servers (or it could be the ISP of your choice) have a similar redirect feature, you can't blame TW for that. There are a whole bunch of scenarios here that could happen and while I agree with your issue with TW's redirect feature, you can't simply blame them for all of them. That's not how DNS works. 

By blaming TW for possibly redirecting your potential customers you have made the assumption that all of your customers use TW and only TW and they all use and only use TW DNS servers. I am a TW customer and I use public DNS servers and a private one, not TW DNS servers so I can tell you that that's not true.

Spectrum Employee

This truly does sound like a DNS Registration issue as your Domain Name of newyorkdancephotographer.com is not your actual website address. Your website is actually located at 50.31.160.50 but when properly registered in a Domain Name Server, you can use the name newyorkdancephotographer.com to have people directed to that IP address. If your website is not registered on a specific DNS, then anyone using that particular DNS, ie TWC DNS, will not be able to access your website unless they go directly to your website's IP address. It may have "fixed" itself because your web host finally registered the domain with TWC. This does not seem to be a valid case of "hijacking".

I am a Spectrum employee but my posts are my own thoughts and opinions
Seasoned Contributor

stephendelas wrote:
So, no, I'm not making up this problem. It's bad enough when they hijack search queries, but redirecting away from actual websites is much worse.

Two points:

1) TWC did not "[redirect] away from actual websites".  At least not in any deliberate fashion.

2) This response to DNS failure is specific to TWC so the only people effected would be TWC customers.

It's easy to make configuration errors when setting up DNS or perhaps at the time you checked hostmetro's name servers were having trouble -- it doesn't mean you made a mistake it just means a mistake was made and then corrected or there was a transient network or server issue (I'd vote for the latter).  In any case the TWC redirect happens when the TWC resolvers fail to find the name you're looking for and the issue some people have with that is that rather than getting an error* in your browser (or whatever software is doing the name lookup) you get a valid address and wind up on page that serves advertising as well as saying "ooops".

*e.g. Firefox can't find the server at nosuchhost.example.com.

Seasoned Contributor

DSchroeder wrote:

This truly does sound like a DNS Registration issue as your Domain Name of newyorkdancephotographer.com is not your actual website address.

This not a new registration and the last recorded change was in Dec-2015.  This supports the idea that it's a hosting company error.

I think it's best to try and blame the right party.