Highlighted
Observer

IP Location has been moved 40 miles, Google bouncing me out of accounts

I live in Ontario County, NY and I've never paid much attention to location on my laptop which goes nowhere. But today I tried to login to my e-mail via Outlook 2010 and every Google account bounced telling me to logon at the website instead. I got to a security section of my Google account and it said I had tried to log in but from a different location. I got an e-mail saying someone tried to login to my gmail account. The timing of all this was that yes I was causing these things, but instead of my hometown being listed, it listed a town next door to another town that has the same name as my county, but it's in another county, and 40 miles away.

So now Google is bouncing me out of all my accounts because of this location change and making me change the passwords because I don't know if someone is mirroring my computer far away.

I went to Speedtest and the IP address was this new town. I went to another IP address identifier site and it picked up the town next to it. So this doesn't appear to be related to the IP of my Tracfone.

I've rebooted the modem, but I got the same IP address in a far away town again.

I understand TWC may be switching over to Charter any day now, or any week now, or any month now. What do I do?

7 REPLIES
Spectrum Employee

Re: IP Location has been moved 40 miles, Google bouncing me out of accounts

Good Morning - 

Unfortunately, IP geolocation can be very imprecise.  It tries to triangulate where you are located based on a number of factors.  In some cases, it can be spot on.  In others, it may have you in a town 40-50 miles away.

Here is an article which explains a little better about how geolocation works

http://whatismyipaddress.com/geolocation-accuracy

If you should have any further questions, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Helper

[ Edited ]

You should be  good once you reauthenticate with the provider or maybe delete the account and set it up again, usually if an ip address changes, it won't change again for long time. I once had an ip address that showed a location of Va, while in NY..  This is not really location, its more specific ip address, so once it's changed its unlikely to change again(unless they are mucking around with servers) Mine changed over the weekend for same reason, presumably and I am in Central NY.

Sometims Google says different location, meaning a different device, take this into account as well.

Expert

Wrong answer... TWC has moved around IP addresses and not bothered to correct the geoloacation data.

Mine has been in 3 different counties and 4 different cities/suburbs.

And sometimes on the same outside IP. Some are suburbs of Cleveland, others are Akron. 5 different zip codes and 3 different phone area codes as well.

All of the Whois info is obscured as well

This is sloppy database management and hopefully Spectrum starts fixing it as it has steadily gotten worst

If you have login issues by location, try to clear saved pages and cookies, maybe mark as logging into a public computer.

Helper

MsRaye wrote:

Wrong answer... TWC has moved around IP addresses and not bothered to correct the geoloacation data.

Mine has been in 3 different counties and 4 different cities/suburbs.

And sometimes on the same outside IP. Some are suburbs of Cleveland, others are Akron. 5 different zip codes and 3 different phone area codes as well.

All of the Whois info is obscured as well

This is sloppy database management and hopefully Spectrum starts fixing it as it has steadily gotten worst

If you have login issues by location, try to clear saved pages and cookies, maybe mark as logging into a public computer.

I was thinking about this Google when they say location, they really mean a different device, possibly at a different location.. Spot on with accuracy... I was in Reston Va, for years.

Expert

You know it's sloppy when customers south of Erie Pa are 20 Miles north of Lorain in the middle of Lake Erie...

And there were some near Youngstown Ohio that come up in Indianapolis...

Mines better Yet, Some lookups say I'm in Boston hts which is north of Akron, Others say I'm in Shaker hts which is close to downtown cleveland, I'm actually closer to Kent...

Observer

[ Edited ]

Thanks for telling me the IP system may be FUBARed and not to worry about it.

Google is requiring 0Auth 2.0 and AFAIK Outlook doesn't support that so the direction is to go to the google site and allow less secure devices to access the acount. Since that's likely a bad idea in a 2.0 world, I downloaded Thunderbird (which is 0Auth 2.0 compatible) and set up my e-mail accounts in that e-mail client. I just have to remember to set the view to Original HTML. It will probably save me money next time I buy a new version of M$ Office that omits Outlook.

I can go to google dot com and do a Search for any item, hit enter, then scroll down to the bottom of the results page and it will tell me the IP location information.

Participant

HiDHo wrote:

I can go to google dot com and do a Search for any item, hit enter, then scroll down to the bottom of the results page and it will tell me the IP location information.

Interesting, I never knew IP informatiom was loaded along with one's google search results!

FWIW - Geolocation is disabled by default on my pcs (x 3) and devices - iphone, ipad. I only activate it when absolutely needed, and then that's rare. I haven't encountered any problems (unless TWC webmail requires it to use their rich text editor). Although, I don't like the idea of my emails being read by others, including google's or MS's algorithms. So, I have never used a gmail, live, yahoo, or any other "free" commercial service for anything other then disposable email account.

Umrk.