Participant

Hijacking of IP?

I will be calling TWC as instructed but wish to see if anyone else has my experience. I noticed my computer was very much slower in loading web pages than before. I also noticed that periodically, sometimes several times a day I got a message from GOOGLE. When typing an item in the GOOGLE search box I got a message saying excessive traffic from my computer was why I was seeing an encrypt box asking me to tyoe in what I saw. And had strings of information showing what GOOGLE had seen. Not until today did I notice something else. The IP address that was supposed to be mine--wasn't. It looke dmore like a MAC address than my IP. I suspected my IP might have been hijacked so contact TWC. Chat directed me to a number to call which I will in the morning. Anyone else experienced this?

--It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office.--
4 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Hijacking of IP?

[ Edited ]

you have a virus or trojan in the machine... and the published contact will route you somewhere else or to a $25 a call phone scammer probably overseas....

Spectrum Employee

install mcafee antivirus on your computer. twc offers it to you. more info can be found below.

https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/internet/step-by-step/mcafee-antivirus-and-family-protect...

:-) 

also, AVG has a nice antivirus and cleaning tool for your computer.

Good luck and I hope these 2 tools help. 

Established Sharer

[ Edited ]

IPv6 addresses often look like MAC addresses to folks who aren't totally familiar with them yet [me included]. Makes a good case for turning off IPv6 in the computer, especially Windows 7-8-10.

Browser

[ Edited ]

I know that TWC offers Mcafee for free but my honest prefrence is Avast, and they recently purchased AVG which makes them able to do even more at this point and down the line. It has multiple features including creating a VPN that is created to protect your ip and block any malicious content or intruders.