Rookie

ADS! ADS! ADS!

I have been experiencing my Roadrunner email account comes with so many ads that it's hard to see the entire screen. Why am I receiving SO MANY on-line advertisements and how can I get rid of them! This is just so annoying but I'm sure in my efforts to make some changes I have messedd it up even more.  PLEASE HELP ... anyone.

2 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: ADS! ADS! ADS!

[ Edited ]

binghamd wrote:

I have been experiencing my Roadrunner email account comes with so many ads that it's hard to see the entire screen. Why am I receiving SO MANY on-line advertisements and how can I get rid of them! This is just so annoying but I'm sure in my efforts to make some changes I have messedd it up even more.  PLEASE HELP ... anyone.

Best things to do,

Google search for "Ad Block Plus"  It is a Godsend and works in IE, Firefox, and Chrome.  Not out for Microsoft Edge yet for Windows 10 users, because Microsoft Edge does not sujpport browser extentions.  It will work on Windows 10 and below for all major browsers.

If you are still getting ads after using Ad Block Plus, you may have malware on your system.  In that case:

1.) Update your Anti-Virus Definitions on your computer and run a full system scan.

2.) Get the Free (not paid) version of Malwarebytes anti-malware, a very good malware removal program here:

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

3.) Get Adware Cleaner, another good product here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Since you have reported so many ads in your Roadrunner email, it may be a good idea to install those above programs and run them even after getting Adblock Plus.  Doing steps 2 and 3 will get the ads embeeded in your system off your computer.  Ad Block Plus will block about 99% of those ads from coming back by preventing them from loading again.

Satch

Sharer

Re: ADS! ADS! ADS!

binghamd wrote:

----------------

If you're using webmail, it's likely that you have adware infecting your browser, and maybe other places on your system.

BEST thing to do it use a POP3 client instead of webmail.

If you HAVE to use the web, make sure your system is clean first.  Get superantispyware and malwarebytes ant-malware, and scan your system throughly, then get a good adblocker to go with a good anti-malware program. You will see few, if any, ads. I personalkly recommend FireFox, it has get adblocking addons.

But you MUST get rid of any 'BHOs', also called browser help objects, AKA toolbars.  Toolbars WILL come with adware, that's their primary purpose.  ANY AND ALL of them.