Rookie

"Out of Area" on Caller ID

I want to block "Out of Area" calls. Will either "Call Blocker Basic" or "Call Blocker Plus" accomplish this?

Additionally, can someone state in clear language what is the difference between Call Blocker Basic and Call Blocker Plus.

-thanks

3 REPLIES
Spectrum Employee

Re: "Out of Area" on Caller ID

[ Edited ]

Call Blocker Plus for the win.

Or was that too simplified? Smiley Very Happy

Call Blocker Plus has the added functionality of blocking calls from callers who are spoofing/faking their caller ID, which is illegal to fake your caller ID,  but many telemarketers do so.

When you see "Out of Area" it could also be a provider glitch.  Meaning that the person calling you didn't get their phone #'s caller ID  (which is called a CNAM) added into the database correctly.  So it's not 100% a telemarketer, but most likely it is a telemarketer.

I'd also recommend if trying to screen out calls that you get by opting-in for Nomorobo.com

It will allow legit things like pharmacy pickup and school closing notifications to go though, but block known telemarketers that were reported to donotcall.gov.

Which reminds me, also add your number to donotcall.gov; that way you can file a complaint on the first telemarketer that calls you, they get fined for having called you when you're on the list.  The longer you're on the do-not-call list, the better.  The more telemarkers you file completed complaint tickets on, the more they'll avoid your number like the plague.  Nomorobo takes this a step further, but this was where it all started.  Your tax dollars fund this so... why not?

They're free services, all three I just mentioned.  But YOU the customer must opt-in.  Legally we can't just opt you in, although  in many cases I wish I could just do that for customers.

You can control turning on (opt-in) on the Nomorobo and Call Blocker Plus of these yourself though the "TWC ID" MyServices portal here:
https://myservices.timewarnercable.com/ 

If you're having issues with logging into the MyServices portal, then call us and ask to speak to the "Tier3 Department" which is specifically trained and has the access permissions necessary to help customers with that.  Please have a bill statement handy, because they'll need to authenticate you by your 4-digit customer code on your bill.

As a general note, if one must absolutely must get the real # of a phone # calling you, it's going to have to go to a subpoena (approved by a judge) because in the USA call identity is confidential information.  No ISP may release it unless to comply with law enforcement investigation.  I've only dealt with that like twice in my entire time working for the company, and in both cases it was potentially-life-threatening death-threats & harassment being made.  When you start illegally using a phone to threaten somebody all of your confidentiality protections by your service provider blows out the window.  Same can happen in cases of abuse quarantines on internet service.

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Highlighted
Trusted Helper

[ Edited ]

Coaxial wrote:

I want to block "Out of Area" calls. Will either "Call Blocker Basic" or "Call Blocker Plus" accomplish this?

Additionally, can someone state in clear language what is the difference between Call Blocker Basic and Call Blocker Plus.

-thanks

Hi, 

Agent's message about Call Block Plus helps block numbers spoofing Caller ID information.  Call Blocker Basic (Formerly Anoymous Call Rejection,) blocks calls who don't publish their phone numbers.  A RECOMMENDED  level of phone protection, which I use on Spectrum Digital Phone is the following, and it works great:

1.) Turn on Nomorrobo in your "My Account" settings and say yes to "Answer Anywhere."  This is needed for Nomorrobo to work.  Telemarketers and spammer calls will be dropped after the first ring and they can no longer leave a message.

2.) Next, turn on Call Blocker Basic.

3.) Save your changes.  You are done!

Satch

IS "NOMOROBO' STILL IN USE WITH SPECTRUM PHONE SERVICE?  Thought I read on a thread that it is no longer available to TW/Spectrum subscribers.