Browser

Strange Caller ID Problem with Tmobile phone numbers

[ Edited ]

Okay so when I call my home phone number (which is a TWC/Spectrum number) from either of my tmobile pay as you go phones, which are two different numbers on two different phones, instead of the home phone recognizing the numbers as mine, it states they are an "unavailable unknown number".  This had worked fine/correctly as far as I can remember up to a few days ago.

Actually the way the problem started (today) was that I was first getting a recorded message after dialing my home phone number from my tmobile phones stating that the number I was trying to reach (my home phone) does not accept calls from callers that block their number (words to that effect).

So I went into my Spectrum/TWC account and changed the call blocked plus/basic from plus to basic so this way my phone call would get through to the home phone because my home phone seems to be treating my two tmobile phones as having their caller id shut off - which they don't.

Now the calls can get through but as first stated my home phone won't recognize my two tmobile phones and states they have an unavailable unknown number. Also, note, the handset that handles my home phone has both of these numbers stored in its phonebook as well.

I also just noticed my friends tmobile phone is doing the same when he calls the line.

I have another cell phone that has tracphone service, and that is recognized by my twc/phone handset correctly.

I called tmobile to ask about it and they looked at my account and they say that there are no caller id blocks on the account. The phone has no number or caller ID block on it.  It is working normally. Also, If i call other phones with the tmobile phones, the caller id on those phones identifies my phone through the caller ID they have. It is only when I call my home phone - the spectrum/twc number - that the numbers are unrecognized and treated as if they have caller ID shut off.

I also tried resetting the modem and that had no effect.

Thanks for any assistance.

12 REPLIES
Browser

Re: Strange Caller ID Problem with Tmobile phone numbers

Just wanted to add that I bought a new home phone just to make sure it is not the other phone that is the problem.  The problem remains.

Community Manager

@tomseynyc

I apologize for the frustration.  If the issue is still not resolved, then please contact us by direct private message at Forums_Help.  Please include your account or phone number. We are happy to assist.

James M.
Social Media Customer Care
Community Forums Moderator

Browser

Hi James. Thanks. I sent a private message with the requested info.

Tom

Browser

I just got a call that I had been waiting for on my twc home phone from a ticket agent. The call showed up as unavailable unknown caller - unusual. I asked him if he uses tmobile and he said yes. So that is another tmobile number not being read by the caller id.
Rookie

I'm having the same problem. All 3 of my T-mobile lines shows as "Unavailable Out of Area" when calling a TWC landline. I contacted TWC and the rep resent some codes and had me disconnect the coaxial cable from the wall. This didn't fix it. I'm not surprised since it is not just my landline that is a problem. I contacted T-Mobile and they have submitted a ticket with the engineering dept. A friend of mine is also on T-mobile but his number displays properly when he calls my TWC line. He has a different area code and lives about 40 miles away. I'm curious where you are located. It seems maybe it is a regional issue since my friend's phone is not an issue. I'm in Santa Clarita. My guess is it's a TWC/Spectrum problem from some sort of rollout with the company change. My problems began Tuesday morning (5/2).

Browser

[ Edited ]

I'm in NYC, happens with tmobile phone area codes 347 and 917.  I think the problem started Tuesday.  I get "Unavailable - unknown number".  I also posted in the tmobile forum to see if anyone with twc/spectrum phone service is seeing this.

Highlighted
Browser

[ Edited ]

Okay, I spoke with a friendly level 3 tech guy (and James) at TWC/Spectrum and he said that there is a known issue with T-mobile and the TWC/spectrum phone service that developed in the past week and they have technical people I believe he said on both sides working on it. They hope to have it fixed soon but don't have an exact time on it.

For now I just leave the call block set to basic (not plus) this way the home phone can receive the call.

Thanks James for your help with this.

Newcomer

Seeing the same issue here. Two lines with Spectrum /TWC in Texas. No caller ID from T-Mobile (unknown). Caller ID also seems to be hit-or-miss with other carriers too. Logs on the MTA show unknown incoming too, so this looks to be a carrier or voice switch issue.

Also noticed this about 2 days ago.

There are posts appearing on T-Mobile support forums too.
Newcomer

Same scenario here.  My calls from TMo to TWC home phone were blocked (as were my wife's) Now changed same setting and calls going through but caller ID info is stripped.  Our cell numbers are set to distinctive ring the house and this doesn't work either.