Newcomer

Spoofing

I am receiving calls from people who say they are returning calls from my home phone number. I have the phone line but no phone even hooked up how is this possible and how do I stop it?
9 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Spoofing

How are you receiving calls on a line without a phone on it?

Call forwarding?

Is this the "won a vacation" people?

They call here with a spoofed caller id number, which is a random 4 digits afterour area code and exchange. Those random 4 digits are some other unsuspecting customer.

Newcomer

Line is active so caller I'd shows up on tv screen and I can check BMW through cable app.
People are leaving me msg saying they are returning calls from my number.
Newcomer

Voice mail not BMW
Expert

Ok,  it is exactly what I am trying to explain to you.

some scammer has loaded your phone number into their spoofing software and sending that number instead of their real number to people they're trying to "robocall" ...

2 that I've gotten here are fax machines the 3rd is a persons answering machine. Calling them back is fruitless, they have no clue their number is being used illegally. I know their spoofs because I can call the number while I'm still on the line with my cell phone.

The problem is that you can't track the number, it's up to the original person that received the calland even then that can be difficult.

Are the area code and exchange same as yours?

That's most likely the florida vacation cruise scammers.

Expert

In the voicemail message, put on a pre-recorded "The number you have dialed is disconnected" please stay on the line for more information"  message. If you get people cussing you out, it's probably people that received the original robocall messages thinking you were the caller.

Newcomer

Is there any way to stop these calls
Expert

The FCC just cited one that made 10 million robocalls with spoofed numbers.

Will take a change in state and federal laws.

There presently has to be proof that fraud (monetary?) is occurring to get action taken.

Since they jump thru many numbers, nomorobo can't intercept them either... All the xxx-yyy- numbers had different last 4 digits and many hung up on the answering machine. Finaly caught what was going on by adding a hellow then a 5+ second pause before I continued with my message to make their robocaller think they had a real person.

Their "person" is a female voice that asks questions... After a bunch of yes replies, you get a please hold and a transfer to a real personwho you can tell to knock it off.

But that's if you're getting called by the actual robocaller and not someone that it called and gave your number to...

Expert

see if TWC spectrum will give you a different phone number....

Established Sharer

Nothing is fool proof but it helps to keep your number unlisted and never never never list it on anything...no applications, no online forms, no directory listings, no store frequent shopper programs, etc.  They usually get your number as part of a marketing list that a company that you have any sort of relationship with has sold off to a third party.