Highlighted
Rookie

How can telemarketers even call me?

I signed up for the bundle (Digital Cable + Internet + Digital Phone) months ago, simply to get a better price on my TV and Internet.  I never actually hooked up the phone line for the Digital Phone, as I don't need the service (mostly because it's 2015 and I have a cell phone).  As this is the case, I am currently unaware of what my digital phone number even is.

So you can imagine my surprise when, as i'm watching television, I see a telemarketer call my digital phone (via the on screen call notficiation window).  I check my call log through the TV, to see that every day now, for as long as the call log will go back, my phone has been spammed with numerous 1-800 numbers.

My question is, given that I've never hooked up my digital phone, thus being unaware of the number, thus the chances of me ever typing in that number on any sort of spam website being 0%, how did multiple telemarketing companies obtain my number in the first place?  Is there some sort of digital phone book accessible to the public that has my Time Warner Cable digital phone number listed?  Or can I assume Time Warner Cable is giving out customer numbers?

7 REPLIES

Re: How can telemarketers even call me?

[ Edited ]

TWC does not give out your phone number, however, it is publicly available. If you no longer wish to receive telemarketing calls, you can register your number via donotcall.gov.

Please also keep in mind that although this number is fairly new to you, it is not a new phone number overall. This number was held at some point by another customer. The calls you receive may not be intended for you. 

Thank you for participating in the Forums.
Have a good rest of the day!

Expert

Because they do sequential dialing. Then when they find a number that answers , rings, or has voicemail, they expoit it.

Trusted Helper

TWC-MelissaO wrote:
TWC does not give out your phone number, however, it is publicly available. If you no longer wish to receive telemarketing calls, you can register your number viadonotcall.gov.

In addition to this,

• Go to My Services and enable Anonymous Call Rejection. 
  • You can also turn on Selected Call Blocking and Block up to 30 numbers, (Which is not enough, I have been waiting for TWC to add more blocking numbers to its blocked calls field.)
  • Finally, you can go to No More Robo and set up your line to block telemarketer calls.  Note that I have never used this, but heard it is good.

https://www.nomorobo.com/signup

Satch

Rookie

I'll just leave my digital phone disconnected on my end.  It's not as if i'm hearing it ring or anything, just noticed the call log on TV and thought it was odd.  Let the spammers blow my number up all they want, i'll never answer.  Smiley Tongue

Though if we're playing semantics here, by making my number publicly available, you did technically "give" it to anyone looking for it, even if you didn't give it to someone directly; but I'd never expect you to admit that publicly.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Helper

[ Edited ]

Chad2021 wrote:

I'll just leave my digital phone disconnected on my end.  It's not as if i'm hearing it ring or anything, just noticed the call log on TV and thought it was odd.  Let the spammers blow my number up all they want, i'll never answer.  Smiley Tongue

Though if we're playing semantics here, by making my number publicly available, you did technically "give" it to anyone looking for it, even if you didn't give it to someone directly; but I'd never expect you to admit that publicly.  Smiley Happy

Greetings,

The best thing you can do if you are a TWC Digital Phone subscriber to stop Telemarketer and other annoying calls, is activate "Nomorobo:"

• Go to "My Account"
  • Sign in with your TWC user id and password.
  • Than go to My Home Phone, and Voice Zone Settings.  TWC has integrated "No More Robo", which stops telemarking calls:

Turn on Nomorrobo from with TWC My Account Digital Phone Settings

1.) When in your Home Phone Settings at My Services go to "Voice Zone."

2.) The settings summary page will allow you to turn on call privacy options, look for "No More Robo"

3.) Click on "Edit"

4.) Select "No More Robo" and turn it on

5.) Say "Yes" to activate the "Answer Anywhere" feature if prompted.

6.) Click OK and save your changes.

After this, "No More Robo" will be activated!  It works like this:

1.) When turned on, "No More Robo" connects your phoneline to its database of over 50 million known spam and telemarketer calls.

2.) When a call comes in on your TWC Digital Phone, your phone and No More Robo's similtanious ring system will check the incoming call on the first ring to determine if it is a telemarketer or a legit call.

3.) The call will show up on Caller ID on TV if it is a telemarketer:

a.) No More Robo will hang up on the caller after the first ring

b.) The caller is blocked from leaving a message

4.) If it is not a telemarketer, the phone will ring a second time like normal.

Things to note:

1.) Users with voice mail or answering machines MUST allow for one ring to occur when "Nomorobo" is activated so the system can determine if the call is legit or not.  This means you must set your system to two rings or higher.

2.) Only phone numbers that are on the 50 million (and counting) block list are blocked.  Robo calls for doctors appointments, school closings, weather emergencies, always go through.

3.) When activated, users will receive an email confirmation from No More Robo with how to log into their secure website, which will allow the users to do such things as report phone numbers that are legit that are being blocked, and also the ability to report phone numbers that are robocalls that are not being blocked.

4.) Nomorrobo blocks the calls that the donotcall lists miss or are often ignored by phone spammers.

Satch

Rookie

I am using VZ Enhanced for call blocking... about the same as nomorobo.  I still get the calls, I complain with the FTC links and DONOtCall links, but many calls are now spoofed so it doesn't do any good to file against the number.  I've even contated my senator about it and nothing is being done. 

WHEN are the phone providers going to stand up and stop this aggressive phone intrusion and illegal spoofing activity?

Newcomer

More spam calls since switching to TWC voice

[ Edited ]

With Verizon I got spam and telemarketer calls but since switching to TW Spectrum the volume has increased 10 fold.  Hard to believe my number is not being shared and Do Not call is virtually useless.