Rookie
mrdonjones
Accepted Solution

Anonymous Call Blocking

Am I alone, or is anyone else experiencing this feature turning itself off? I set the darned thing using *77, then a pleasant female computer tells me the Anonymous Call Rejection Service is now On!  

Next thing you know, there's an "Unknown" call coming through.  I also have some specific numbers blocked, and that part might we working at least part of the time.  

Please use plain text.
TWC Employee
Surreall

Re: Anonymous Call Blocking

Anonymous call reject only blocks calls from people who have restricted their number from showing on caller id.

If the company doesn't send the caller id information (or if it's just not available), it'll cause it to show unknown on your caller id.  But, since it's technically not a private call, anonymous call reject lets it through.

Please use plain text.
Rookie
mrdonjones

I'll buy that answer, since it's techinical and mysterious.  Makes you wonder what other exceptions there are that we won't know unless asked in the forum.  IMHO, this is an easy way to defeat the system.  So my anonymous call is blocked?  I'll just make it MORE anonymous by removing the CID data and it will go right through.

I've been punching *77 every day, thinking "Maybe it's only good for 24 hours."

Please use plain text.
TWC Employee
MegaMasterX

*77 (Anon Call Rejection) is a On/Off feature thankfully. It's really handy for fending off the pranksters. Anyone with a private number that is legitimately trying to reach you will have to unblock their number before going through.

Please use plain text.
TWC Employee
ChristopherM

If you are using Time Warner Cable home phone service, log into MyServices and go to the home phone tab. Click on the blue button that says "go to voicezone." When you enable it there, it will stay enabled until you disable.  You can actively manage all home phone features from there.

Please use plain text.
Newcomer
Richard

I just had to change my phone number of 17 years due to thretening calls and constant calls from telemarketers.

TIME WARNER LISTEN UP - Anonymous calls are anonymous calls PERIOD. Either change your software to block ALL ANONYMOUS calls or start loosing customers!

Stop filtering on a blocked ID and instead filter on "HAS an ID" allow calls WITH AN ID, This isn't rocket science. Calls that have a valid ID (even a spoofed ID, but that's another story) should be the ONLY CALLS that get through. I've been working as a data architect for 15 years, and I know one thing, you guys are amateurs, sloppy and pretty much have earned your reputation as a hated brand.

Explaining the issue in this response is not a fix, it's only an admission of your failure.

Please use plain text.
Rookie
kahuna58

Yes I agree. I am getting tired of all these "Unknown Caller" with no number calls. They call like from 4am. Once they called real early in the morning. My mom jumped out of bed and fell down and broke 2 ribs. There must be a way to block these numbers?

Please use plain text.
Rookie
FedUpWithPhones

Lacking from the "explanation" of *77 is what T-W recognizes as an anonymous call, as well as how to verify the current setting. In the last month, I have received 50 or more calls with the Caller ID information displaying "Unavailable / Out of area"  (They've stopped since Christmas - fancy that!) A third level support person offered to send a list of my calls several weeks ago, making the suggestion that I might learn the source number so I could block it. LOL  In the list I received, every one of these calls with time stamps matching my phone's Caller List had a blank in the phone number field. What could possibly be more anonymous? The support person also mentioned that Canada's public phone service has this situation resolved. Wonder if Washington will ever get off the stick.

Please use plain text.
Newcomer
pats2

No you're not. I called TWC and they said that it happens to keep using the *77. Not much help. I look at my ID Caller if it says UNKNOWN CALLER I don't pick up. I let it ring and go to my answering machine. They may or may not leave a message. I figure no message then it was not important. Good luck!
Please use plain text.
Valued Participant
Fisherman

I have Anonymous Call Rejection enabled but I see that it does not block calls showing a CID of "Unavailable". I also have NOMOROBO enabled on my phone, which pretty much has eliminated all of the other telemarketers from getting thru. It seems that over the last couple weeks, the telemarketers have discovered that neither Time Warner or NOMOROBO is blocking calls from "Unavailable" so they are all starting to use this. Can Time Warner please update their ACR software to take care of this problem, or is there a specific reason that calls with the CID of "Unavailable" are not being blocked?

Please use plain text.