Observer

Tuning Adapter - stuck in B'Cast only

I lost most non-basic cable channels last Friday.  On one TV earlier in the day, and the other TV later that night.

 

I use Tivo with m-Card cable cards and tuning adapters.  After working with 4 different service people:

1) Cablecard support on the phone (usually my best bet)

2) On site tech who just rebooted everything that I had already done on the phone with (1) + changing out some connectors

3) On site tech who checked all the lines coming into my apt, and at least got me a few channels back.  Also switched out the tuning adapters to no avail, and spent several hours talking to different techs back at central offices.

4) On site tech who changed out tuning adapter again, but no change

 

Finally (4) finds out that there is some known issue, and we'll just have to wait until they resolve it.  ETA unknown.  Between (1) and (4) its been 8 days so far.

 

Just posting this here in case anyone else is experiencing  this, because it is very frustrating to find no information online about this apparently known issue.  Tech (3) had also implied that they had been seeing a lot of new/different issues since the Spectrum switch.

12 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Tuning Adapter - stuck in B'Cast only

are you using the internal loop thru splitter in the TA's for your Tivo's?

Can you copy and paste your modems signal level pages from 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1

Observer

Re: Tuning Adapter - stuck in B'Cast only

The cable is passing thru the TA and then back out and into the Tivo. I think that's what you are asking about. Below are from the modem pages:

Downstream Bonded Channels

ChannelLock StatusModulationChannel IDFrequencyPowerSNRCorrectablesUncorrectables
1LockedQAM25624417000000 Hz4.2 dBmV41.9 dBmV00
2LockedQAM25617375000000 Hz5.1 dBmV42.6 dBmV00
3LockedQAM25618381000000 Hz5.2 dBmV42.6 dBmV00
4LockedQAM25619387000000 Hz4.8 dBmV42.6 dBmV00
5LockedQAM25621399000000 Hz4.6 dBmV42.5 dBmV00
6LockedQAM25622405000000 Hz4.2 dBmV42.2 dBmV00
7LockedQAM25623411000000 Hz4.1 dBmV41.9 dBmV00
8LockedQAM25610333000000 Hz3.2 dBmV41.9 dBmV00

 

Upstream Bonded Channels

ChannelLock StatusUS Channel TypeChannel IDSymbol RateFrequencyPower
1LockedATDMA62560 Ksym/sec24200000 Hz43.3 dBmV
2LockedTDMA52560 Ksym/sec19400000 Hz43.5 dBmV
3LockedATDMA75120 Ksym/sec30600000 Hz43.5 dBmV
4LockedATDMA85120 Ksym/sec37000000 Hz44.0 dBmV
Expert

Re: Tuning Adapter - stuck in B'Cast only

ok, you have plenty good levels on the modem, the TA's should be able to handle a  2 or 4 way splitter after it.

 Have you verified the TA and cablecard mac addresses with TWC? Talked to the cablecard support group?

 Best is m-f 9-5, hopefully tou'll get a US employee then

 

Observer

Re: Tuning Adapter - stuck in B'Cast only

Yup - they were my first try (my first call).  I always start with that team since they can usually diagnose/fix any cablecard or tuning adapter issues.  They are also the ONLY TWC employees who don't act all shocked that I have TIVO.  

 

They verified all my CC and TA ids.

 

The TA do show as "not connected" on my TWC online account.  But no one can figure out why.

Expert

Re: Tuning Adapter - stuck in B'Cast only

[ Edited ]

When you go into the tivo's diagnostic level page, does it show the TA's levels and what are they?

Is the Cable card's Mac addy correct?

Has any attempt been made to send you a new cablecard?

 This really sounds like a billing mistake.. Have you changed any services lately? Check your bills.

 

Observer

Re: Tuning Adapter - stuck in B'Cast only

Finally confirmed by the cablecard team yesterday that it is a tuning adapter software problem, and they are waiting on the manufacturer to correct the issue.

 

It is apparently affecting anyone in my area using tuning adapters.  We're going on two weeks now, and they are unsure how long it will take for the fix.

Rookie

Re: Tuning Adapter - stuck in B'Cast only

bethzellen - what area are you in?  I am in the Milwaukee met area, and having the exact same issue with my TA that sits in front of my Ceton  6-ETH unit.  The Ceton page shows the TA's upstream status as "Upstream not connecting", and the detailed diagnostic page shows the B'Cast Only status.

 

At first, I thought it was an upstream level issue since my cable modem was also cutting out intermittently and struggling to reconnect in the upstream phase.  I had both units connected to outputs of a PCT amp that had a Passive Return channel, so I swapped it out with one that had an Active Return.  That fixed the cable modem issue, but not the TA.

 

I planned on calling the CableCard line, but found this forum thread first.  I will still call them to see if I get the same info that you did, and if there's any update on a fix.

 

Thanks for confirming I'm not going crazy!  Smiley Happy

Observer

Re: Tuning Adapter - stuck in B'Cast only

I'm in NYC - so I wonder if "my area" is having an issue is actually a lot larger than I thought.

 

I'm still having the problem, (I think we're going on 6 weeks now..)  Hopefully your's is a different and more easily resolved issue.

Rookie

Re: Tuning Adapter - stuck in B'Cast only

I'm obviously just speculating, but that 6-week timeframe you mention is close-but-not-quite the same as my issue, so I'm wondering if it might be related to whatever staged rollout they're doing for the Spectrum merger.

 

I just got off the phone with the TW CableCARD support line - talked to "Matt" - and he seemed fairly confident that this is likely an issue with my TA, so I will be heading to my local TW center and attempting to swap it out.  I know that you said you tried this already, so I'm a little skeptical, but we'll see how this goes...