Browser

Tuning Adapter and Tivo Roamio Pro

I have three Tivos in my home.  Two of them use tuning adapters and cable cards.

On my older Tivo, which is a Tivo (series 3) HD XL, the tuning adapter works perfectly.  If I disconnect the tuning adapter (TA), I get a warning.  If I reconnect it, I get another warning and then the Tivo does this spinning icon and says "aquiring channels...".

When I got my Tivo Roamio Pro, the first time, they gave me a TA that was set for ONE-WAY and I had to bring it back and exchange it for a TA that was TWO-WAY.  I got past that problem but I seem to have another issue:

On the Roamio, I get a warning when I disconnect the TA.  I also get a warning when I reconnect the TA.  However, unlike the HD XL, I do NOT get the spinning "acquiring channels..." icon and the channel information seems to be incorrect.  That is, the Tivo comes up with the wrong channel name vs. channel number matchup.  If I reboot the Tivo, all seems OK.  Therefore, when Tivo changes the channel map, the Tivo doesn't detect this and correct.

Aside from the one-way vs. the two-way, is there another type of tuning adapter that I should have for the Roamio?  Is this just a bad TA and i should swap it again?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Tuning Adapter and Tivo Roamio Pro

Cable cards are one and 2 way, not the TA's

You may have too many splitters and not a good enough connection for the cable modem in the TA to work properly.

You must use the internal splitter in the ta, and loop thru to the Tivo, not use an external splitter and especially leave the TA's cable out connector open.

I'd guess you have at least a 4 way splitter for the TWC cable modem and 3 tivo's... That may be at the max and you may need a bidirectional 4 way amplifier.

What are the levels at the various tivo's and your cable modem?

Contributor

Is the Roamio fine now ?   My Roamio Basic showed a weird channel (711) yesterday in upcoming but now I can't find it this morning.  I think the channel line up probably had some bad data but they fixed it.  I am using an outdoor antenna, no TA, no cable card, the channel should have been 11-1.

Expert

You may have had a band openning and picked up a distant station from out of town.

Browser

In my initial problem, it was TWC that said I needed a 2-way TA.  I replaced the TA and the issue was resolved.  However, we still get the issue where there are changes to the channel lineup that are not making it into the TIVO so I need to reboot both the TA and the TIVO to fix that.

We don't have too many splits.  I have one Tivo upstairs with a cable box on a TV and two Tivo's downstairs on the same TV.  The splitter was provided by TWC.

Browser

That is kind of what I'm seeing now.  Everything starts out fine and then there seems to be some screw-up with the line up.  The Tivo has to get its information from two sources.  One is the tuning adapter.  Another is the Tribune guide and their own lineup listings by cable provider and zip code.

One of the things I need to do is to swap the two tuning adapters and see what happens.  Other than that, if the line up gets all funky, we just power down the TA for about 10 minutes, bring it back up and then restart the Tivo and everything is fine.

Expert

make sure your Tivo's are using the TA's internal splitters as external splitters kill the TA levels by 3.5 db

In other words, the F cable goes into the TA then out of the TA to the Tivo

I don't think that's the problem... but if it helps, please let us all know.