Observer

Digital Adapter for TiVo Series2

I would like to convert an analog signal to a digital signal on my TiVo Series2 dual tuner DVR.  It no longer supports analog signals.  I want to watch TV programs on the Series2 (but not record shows from cable).  I want to transfer the recorded shows from the TiVo Roamio unit to the TiVo Series2.  I need to convert the analog signal to a digital signal from TiVo Roamio to the Series2. 

Will a Digital Adapter be sufficient to make this switch?  If not, what other connectons do I need to have?  Thanks. 

6 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Digital Adapter for TiVo Series2

[ Edited ]

I don't think you have a cablecard and tunning adapter on the series 2. it will only do analog cable as well.

To record digital cable, You'll need a cable box with video and audio outs,,, prefered connection, or ch 3/4 rf from a DTA( one step lower resolution.

I don't understand where you're trying to tie in the Roamio... Explain further

Observer

No, I don't have a CableCard or tuning adapter on the Series2.  However, I do have a CableCard and tuning adapter on the Roamio Plus.  I'm trying to figure out how I can switch the analog signal on the Series2 to a digital signal.  I want to transfer recorded shows from the Roamio (which is a digital signal) to the Series2 (which is an analog signal). 

Expert

ok, come out of the roamio's video and audio (red/ white/ yellow) rca's and feed that into the series 2's video input... I believe they all have them (there's a pile of different versions.

)

Observer

I already have the composite cables (red/white/yellow) hooked up from the Roamio to the TV set and from the Series2 to the TV set also for video. 

I tried to transfer recorded shows from the Roamio to the Series2 and it is not compatible because the Series2 is an analog DVR not a digital DVR.  Therefore all the transferred shows could not be viewed on my TV set because the shows are in digital format.  I'm trying to find out if I can switch the analog signal on the Series2 to a digital signal to accommodate the transfer of recorded shows from the Roamio. 

Expert

no you can't , that's why I suggested using the video and audio ins...

Transfer via the analog connections since the series 2 is basicly the same as an analog VCR

Does your TV have HDMI inputs? Use that for the roamio to tv and the r/w/y cables to feed into the series 2

If not,  use a 2 way audio video splitter amp 2 create 2 video outs, one for the tv, the second for the series 2

Observer

I want to transfer the recorded shows from the TiVo Roamio to the TiVo Series2.  I need to convert the analog signal to a digital signal from the Series2 to be be compatible with the TiVo Roamio digital signal (via the coaxial cable from my living room).  I am expecting a TWC installer today to run another coaxial cable from bedroom to the living room and connect to the Digital Transport Adapter I received from TWC 2 weeks ago.  My intention is to transfer recorded shows from the TiVo Roamio to the TiVo Series 2 and then be able to continue to use the feature "Save to VCR/DVD".  I save/burn the program to my DVD recorder.  All TiVo units after the Series2 do not offer this feature anymore.  I need to download shows to a DVD and use on-the-go when I travel to watch shows on another TV set that has a DVD player.