Rookie

Re: Tivo bolt

I see on the TWC website it says to hook it up as follows: Cable from the wall to the tuning adapter in, tuning adapter out to tivo and then the USB cable. I had a tech install 2 bolts yesterday and currently they are hooked up differently (one is missing the usb cable which they will come back to install). One is connected as described above (minus the usb cable). The 2nd one goes like this: wall to splitter, splitter 1 out to tuning adapter, splitter 2 out to tivo, usb connecting both. The tech seemed to have a great deal of difficulty getting either one to work (had to call in MANY times) but finally seemed to get #1 working. #2 seems hit or miss and usually I get a you are not authorized to view this channel error (but then the channel will come in). Thoughts?

Option #1 is the correct one. on Option #2 you are getting the error message because the tuning adapter is not connected to the TV. I have been using TIVO for 4 years with TWC and for the most part it has been awesome. However, the techs that come out do not understand it and when you call in for support, first line techs have no clue what a Tivo unit is and can barely understand English. Very frustrating. I am going to try the number above to see if it is better. I am upgrading to the Bolt this week and called in to see if i needed a new tuning adapter. They have no clue Smiley Sad

See my response below. Sorry I didnt reply right to you.
N/A

Hi,

i have had Tivos for a number of years and just upgraded them to Bolts.  I have a Tuning adapter bcc I have digital channels. TWC is required to provide it to you for free. 

N/A

Sorry for all the typos.  I LOVE my Tivos!

Rookie

Which model tuning adapter is installed with your TiVo Bolt? Does your Signal Strength Meter (Settings and Messages -> Channel and App Setting -> Signal Strength) graphical functionality work?... Does the meter display the signal strength at the bottom of the screen while the video/audio for the channel being checked is in the background?

Newcomer

Tivo says you do not need tuning adapter(channel splitter) with Bolt.  It's built in.  You may need to talk to the the advanced tech team. I had to do that with the XL4s which I did have to use the tuning adapter. Another issue is signal strength on each of the  4  tuners. You can check signal strength on the Tivo. If you are hovering at 92% or was it 92 db?, you probably will not receive some channels. Each cable splitter and the length of your cable loses signal strength. I could get all channels nearest the drop into the house, but not the farthest one. It's not the tuner, but channel frequency that reacts to the signal strength differently because of their frequency differences. Several channels will be at one frequency, but will split to get the channel you are are tuned to.  You can see all this via the Tivo. It's a lot of information, but looking over it may pinpoint a signal loss. After looking at the information, you'll start understanding it.

Participant

The above iformation is INCORRECT.

ALL TIVO's,  from the Premiere on Up to, and including, the Bolt, NEED a SDV Tuning Adapter from TWC.  No Question.

I "think" the confusion with the BOLT and older TIVO's, is the fact that the BOLT has a "built in" MoCa Adapter.  Some older models required a MoCa adapter, in order to take advantage of that feature.  ALL the new BOLT's do not require this.

If you buy a TIVO, you will NEED BOTH an M-Cable Card, and a Tuning Adapter.  It will NOT WORK properly without them.

When I got mine 2 years ago, the Tuning Adapter, and M-Cable Card, came in the SAME BOX, and were TIED TO EACH OTHER.

I got the Box from my local TWC Office.  Not sure if this still is the case, but it would make sense that they BOTH arrive in the same box.

You will lose PPV, On Demand, Start Over functions that come with a rental STB, but the benefits gained from a TIVO Bolt, or Roamio, you will not miss them.

Also, you will save about $7-$9/month in rental fees going from a STB, to a CableCard and Tuning Adapter.

Use the Phone # on the 1st page of this thread if you have any problems with the TIVO, CableCard Setup with the Tuning Adapter.