So confused by letter about SDV vs. TiVo vs. CableCARD

[ Edited ]

I'm a technically proficient successful company CEO and beta tester of a dozen current apps and devices. However this letter Time Warner have typed out over 2 pages has me completely baffled.

The letter basically says that I currently have a CableCard and TiVo (Roamio) which is true, and that as TWC are moving to SDV programming, I'll need a new tuning adapter.

• I currently have the Cisco STA1520
  • This is connected to my TiVo via USB so TiVo can change the STA's channels
  • The TiVo Roamio has a MultiCARD installed for dual recording
  • Everything works great

I called TWC and asked what I needed and could they just send it to me. They sent me a Cisco DTA 271HD.

• There's no info as to whether this replaces the STA1520 or not (I assume it does)
  • If it does, it has no USB port, so the TiVo couldn't change the DTA's channels
  • The new DTA has its own remote with channel buttons, but I can't sit there and change channels when the TiVo needs to
  • I'm not planning to revert to the IR blasters I was using 15 years ago with TiVo now we've advanced to USB

My questions:

• Do I need the new DTA 271HD at all or will the STA1520 do what I need? (All indications are it is SDV compatible.)
  • If I don't need anything, why did TWC send me this confusing letter?
  • Why did they then send me a device I can't connect to my TiVo?
  • Again, they know I have a TiVo, a MultiCARD, and the STA1520.

It's amazing when companies have such a bad reputation that they still send out unvetted letters that are as clear as mud without anyone 'checking their work' or running it past the Plain English Society or something. You'd think someone, somewhere at TWC would be aware that it's not a great idea to peeve people off like this, with so many people looking to become Cable Cutters.

I've lost over an hour of my life what with the letter, the phone call, trying to attach the new box, and so on.

What an appalling company. Seriously reconsidering my business at this exact moment. 

Hopefully I'll get one, wonderful, clear, reply...

10 REPLIES
Expert

Re: So confused by letter about SDV vs. TiVo vs. CableCARD

You are confusing a TA with a DTA  A DTA (digital transport adapter) is only to convert a direct connected analog tv to receive QAM and Encrypted QAM channels and NO SDV channels. It should be called a starter box, won't do preferred SDV, mod, ppv, etc

TA's (Tuning Adapters) are a cable modem and give the Tivo, Ceton, Hauppage and Silicon device boxes a docsis modem to request SDV, MOD, PPV channels as well as guide info if available

If you already have one, you don't need another one.

LOL not exactly the clear answer I was hoping for.

Can you clarify:

• Did TWC send me the letter erroneously, saying I need a special new box for the new SDV channels like Showtime coming to my area?
  • My current STA will do everything I need already?

Here's the article explaining (a little simpler) what my letter said:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/tv/topics/cablecard.html

"Once channels are delivered using SDV, they will no longer be available to CableCARD™ devices [like my TiVo] unless you have a Tuning Adapter. You will need a Tuning Adapter to view these new channels if you use a CableCARD™ with one of these devices:

• TiVo Series 5: Roamio, Roamio Plus, Roamio Pro

If you have a compatible CableCARD™ device that is listed above, you can order a Tuning Adapter online."

Of course, the 'order online' link said not available, hence ordering it by phone.

Do I need a new adapter or is my STA1520 enough?

Expert

[ Edited ]

An STA 1520 is a TA and is what you need.

I have no clue per the letter why TWC sent you a DTA unless you have a second jack on the bill for a second analog tv. Go to my services, equipment and see iff you have the sta and CC listed as well as your TWC internet modem

What's your zip code? Maybe someone else has info on the deletion of analog channels

Expert

I guess your area is finally going all digital qam and getting rid of analog and since you don't rent a TWC cable box they assumed you're using a direct connected set . Return the DTA and GET A RECEIPT!

You said:

"they assumed you're using a direct connected set"

My first post said:

"The letter basically says that I currently have a CableCard and TiVo (Roamio)"

I'm none the wiser as to why they sent me a letter saying that my CableCARD TiVo will no longer work until they send me an adapter, which itself is incompatible with TiVo.

Nothing in this forum is making me reconsider leaving TWC and cable cutting.

The adapter was "free". Why would I need a receipt?
Expert

[ Edited ]

It's not Free, It's a rental for free for the first year and probably 4-5$ a month next year the way rental rates keep increasing. Current DTA rate is $3.25 a month.

You're out in the middle of nowhere and TWC is getting around to the deletion of the remaining analog channels. Here in Ohio, they're a year + behind and sent out letters in 2014, we still have 50 NTSC analog and clear qam channels and there is 16x4 bonded data channels for max if it ever happens

Reread the letter, it doesn't say what you're saying. A TA IS NOT A DTA>>>>

Time Warner Cable launched Switched Digital Video (SDV) in many neighborhoods around the country. Channels delivered using SDV are sent to your television only when you want to watch them. This frees up bandwidth and allows Time Warner Cable to offer you additional digital and HD channels. Some existing services may be delivered using SDV in order to make additional bandwidth available.

Once channels are delivered using SDV, they will no longer be available to CableCARD™ devices unless you have a Tuning Adapter. You will need a Tuning Adapter to view these new channels if you use a CableCARD™ with one of these devices:

• TiVo Series 3: HD and HD XL
  • TiVo Series 4: Premiere, Premiere XL and Premier Elite
  • TiVo Series 5: Roamio, Roamio Plus, Roamio Pro
  • TiVo Series 6: Bolt
  • Ceton InfiniTV 4 and 6 Multi-Tuner PC Card
  • SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime
  • Moxi HD DVR
  • ATI TV Wonder
  • HDHomeRun Prime
  • Hauppauge
  • Samsung GX-SM530CF

If you have a compatible CableCARD™ device that is listed above, you can order a Tuning Adapter online.

DTA info:

TWC is phasing out Analog TV nationwide:

In some towns of Time Warner Cable’s customer area, all or some channels are delivered via digital signal.

You may want a Digital Adapter for any TV where the cable line goes directly into your TV, VCR, DVD player or similar device and want to view channels that are delivered digitally, such as Public Access, Educational Access, and Government Access channels. If you are in an area with all digital channels, you will be able to order a Digital Adapter from our support page.

You do NOT need a Digital Adapter if your cable line is plugged into a TWC Set-Top Box, DVR, retail CableCARD™ device or Roku device.

Thanks. For the record, it was the TWC rep on the phone who said what I needed was a DTA, in response to the letter. They don't know what they're doing.
Expert

They have no Idea what a Tivo is...

BTW, the early ones aren't supported and maybe they'll work with a DTA