Twc hotspot wifi bridge

I have a twc hotspot near me but out of range. My friend lives next to the hotspot. I live a 800 feet away and I have line of sight from roof to roof. The fastest speeds on my street are 3mbps. My friend also gets 3mbps, the hotspot is behind his house on the next street. The current equipment I own: netgear nighthawk extender ac1900 (ex7000), a ubiquiti nanostation loco m5 and two ubiquiti litebeam ac's.

The hotspot shows three networks: twcwifi, cablewifi and twcwifi-passport. The first two are unsecured but you are prompted to enter username and password once I acquire the signal. The third is secured with wpa2.

The netgear will rebroadcast twcwifi and cablewifi but not twcwifi-passport. I tried the nanostation to the hotspot, got a signal but no internet (running windows 10).

I would like to get the twcwifi-passport network to my house with this equipment if possible, but it seems to me that whenever the signal is rebroadcast it takes with it the protocol of prompting a sign-on. Someone suggested using a pc with two wifi cards or adapters at my friends house to make the connection between the netgear that is getting the signal from the hotspot and the host litebeam ac.

Topography: hotspot~~~>netgear nighthawk~~~>pc with two adapters~~~>host litebeam ac~~~> client litebeam ac~~~>nanostation ap ~~~>to PS3-4, pc, laptop, tv, amazon fire tv, iphone etc....

I'm open to all ideas and I'm willing to get any equipment nessessary. Thanks.
8 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Twc hotspot wifi bridge

why aren't you using your home connection? It's a whole lot faster and won't have a 1 hour max lease on it!

My home connection is advertised at 3 Mbps, I'm lucky if I see anything over 1.2mbps. I can't stream video. The lease on a twc hotspot is I think two weeks, every time I walk near one my iPhone automatically signs on.
Expert

your paid for 3 meg service does not give you access to the hotspots, you must have 15/1 service or faster to get it.

and to upgrade speed you must change to spectrum and their slowest tier is 60/6 at $64.99 a month. You also lose some tv channels in some tiers.

The only Internet available in my area is AT&T dialup, no charter, or anybody for that matter. I have spectrum cable tv. Spectrum dosent offer any internet in my area, they're only option is $600.00/month business class. I have spectrum Internet at my shop. I have looked at every possible option available to me, I would be happy to pay a reasonable amount (30-70/month) for Internet but because I live just outside of the broadband area that is not an option. If this works I intend on getting a hotspot access subscription for 29.99, because my use is not casual. I just need some advice on how to cross the finish line.
Established Sharer

I just need some advice on how to cross the finish line.

If you have good Sprint 4G/LTE service in your area, consider joining the Calyx Institute at the $500/year Contributor level and get their cellular Internet service in return.  Check their web site for details.

Established Sharer

[ Edited ]

It sounds like you have plenty of disposable income to buy networking hardware.  Maybe you should consider paying for an internet subscription too.  Hotspots are usually installed by businesses who benefit when the HS users also purchase a cup of coffee or a light meal from their hosts.  Those same host businesses DON'T appreciate freeloaders who want to use free unlimited connections as their personal web link to the world.  But thank you for your service as a Navy SEAL.

It's a time Warner cable hotspot, it's not free, I already pay for it.
Highlighted
Established Sharer

[ Edited ]

Insultnavyseal wrote:
It's a time Warner cable hotspot, it's not free, I already pay for it.

Only if you are buying advertising time on TWC; residential customer revenues don't subsidize the hotspots.  Also TWC's hot spot lease time is preset to 60 minutes.  Its router and WiFi AP are separate from any other cable services provided at that location.