Highlighted
Newcomer

TWC wifi hotspots stopped working after I switched to Spectrum.

I went to the local store to try and get a price drop after my bill jumped $10. They said everything would be the same if I switched to the Spectrum deal and it would save me $40 so I did. But last night I was out at a favorite restaurant who has the free TWC wifi and it would not allow me to connect and said I needed to upgrade my account. What gives when I switched I got upgraded services not basic service that it was implying I had. Very displeased as TWC free wifi is never really free have to have an account which costs me money to maintain or I can't use it so it's NOT FREE.

How do I get it back.
6 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: TWC wifi hotspots stopped working after I switched to Spectrum.

@Fskrot

I apologize for the frustration.  For assistance with HotSpots, please contact HotSpot support directly at 1-888-851-9350.

James M.
Spectrum Social Media Customer Care
Forums Community Manager

Established Sharer

Fskrot wrote:
I went to the local store to try and get a price drop after my bill jumped $10. They said everything would be the same if I switched to the Spectrum deal and it would save me $40 so I did. But last night I was out at a favorite restaurant who has the free TWC wifi and it would not allow me to connect and said I needed to upgrade my account. What gives when I switched I got upgraded services not basic service that it was implying I had. Very displeased as TWC free wifi is never really free have to have an account which costs me money to maintain or I can't use it so it's NOT FREE.

How do I get it back.

Oh please, you don't really believe that TWC-->Spectrum's WiFi hotspots are available for free to the general public, do you?  Of course you have to be a TWC-->Spectrum subscriber above the basic tier to use them. 

Expert

The account is either wrong or you need to change your password. You need to change the "My SERVICES"password in TWC or whatever it's called in spectrum. That then authenticates your device as a spectrum customer, You also need to do it at home on your home network, possibly need to delete and reinstall the aps...

This even though your email and home connections still seem to work.

There are also fake TWC wifi hotspots set up to data mine and steal your info, they should be reported.

Or, the business still has a Ruckus hotspot powered up and it's seperate modem is either disconnected, disabled or non existant. They do not use all in ones or share the business class modems , It's totally seperate from the business class internet and the 3rd business phone modems....

Browser

Tried this approach via home connection and it didn't impact connectivity at hotspots at all - still not working in Los Angeles August 23, 2017
Community Manager

@Lamovies

HotSpots are supported by a different team.  For assistance with HotSpots,  please contact HotSpot support directly at 1-888-851-9350.

James M. 
Spectrum Social Media Customer Care
Forums Community Manager

Browser

Exactly - I am in Los Angeles, CA and have had over a half dozen conversations with customer service at that number to report outdoor hotspots that are not functioning in Los Angeles, California. During August 2017, I have only found TWO outdoor hotspots in Los Angeles that successfully connect. Dozens and dozens DO NOT connect.

I am posting about it in this forum because:

1) Other customers and future customers have the right to know that part of their service (connecting away from home to outdoor wifi as customers of Spectrum/Time Warner) is NOT working in the majority of hotspot locations in Los Angeles --- and it is NOT "their phone" or "their computer" that is causing this issue. It is a Spectrum system issue.

2) Regardless of customers like myself making a 25-30 minute call to report an outdoor hotspot that is not working, Spectrum/Time Warner hotspots in Los Angeles are not being fixed. I have personally checked the same sites 2 weeks after making the reports and they are still down.

3) Spectrum needs to COME CLEAN with what's going on with the wifi hotspots in Los Angeles they acquired from Time Warner - and if the outdoor wifi hotspots in Los Angeles are NO LONGER CONNECTED OR WORKING, tell your customer service reps and tell us, your customers! Admit it and stop wasting my time and other customer's time (and your customer service reps time) with the ridiculously long phone calls that ultimately do not result in these spots being repaired. Stop falsely advertising to new customers that, as a subscriber to Spectrum Cable, they will be able to connect to wifi across the country at designated hotspots. This was true in LA when the company is was Time Warner, but it is NO LONGER TRUE.

During every single phone report I have made (at about 10 minutes into the call), the customer service representative puts me on hold while they "check the hotspot and get a report" (this step takes approximately another 10 minutes). With surprise, when they return, they say "no one has connected to this site in 10 days" or "...6 days", etc. and then they comment "it is obviously not working so I will escalate this report" or the like. One Rep wondered aloud why no one else had called it in - and as I said in an earlier post, when you are on the road working, to take 30 minutes to complete one of these calls only to be ultimately told by the Rep at the call's conclusion that it will take 3-5 days before it is repaired (it has been 14 days for the first sites I called in and they still don't work) is just not an option for most people.
I am frankly so frustrated that I have taken the time to call in over a half dozen of these hotspots (a total of 3.5 hours on the phone) and to date, none have been repaired - they are still not connecting.

Spectrum customer service told me, "We rely on our customers to report outdoor hotspots that do not connect. We, at Spectrum Cable, do not check them otherwise."

Apparently there is no way to expedite one of these calls either. I tried calling in addresses of three non-working outdoor hotspots in one call hoping they would take the addresses, check them and issue work orders so their technicians can fix them - but to no avail. Sure, you can report more than one during the same call, BUT they still make you go through the step-by-step process one hotspot at a time, and if takes 25-30 minutes for each address you report.

This is a crazy, go-nowhere cycle that Spectrum management needs to address.

During August 2017, I have only found TWO outdoor hotspots in Los Angeles that connect successfully. Dozens and dozens DO NOT connect. This has NEVER happened before, and from what I've read from customers in other cities across the US, outdoor hotspot connectivity problems coincided with Spectrum's acquisition of, merger with (or whatever) Time Warner Cable.

If you search my user name in this forum, you will find my comments over the past two weeks to give you the bigger picture.