Newcomer

Spectrum WiFi plus

Is this the new replacement for Twc passpoint?
I have a new account on spectrum. When I attempt to connect to wifiplus on my iPhone, it connects and I see the WiFi icon on the top, but I can’t do ANYTHING. I checked and it does give me an IP address. I have the latest profile download under settings/general/profile.
Simply nothing goes anywhere. Google times out, email won’t retrieve, safari times out, etc. I connect to the unsecured spectrum WiFi and all works just fine. Can someone actually look into why the secure network doesn’t work, or is just so painfully slow that all processes time out???
Are the issues location specific, or do they all connect to a centralized router?
7 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Spectrum WiFi plus

You don't use that at home....  it's for hotspots as far as I know

Expert

Considering that 80% of people think WIFI is any internet connection....

It's not obvious...

Are you trying to use this at home?

At a twc/Spectrum wifi hotspot?

On someone elses TWC wifi ?

Or a competitors Wifi?

it aint obvious, no one here can read your mind, we're all customers like you....

THERE ARE A LOT OF THE RUKUS TWC WIFI HOTSPOTS THAT HAVE NO INTERNET CONNECTION. 

THEY SPEW OUT THE SSID WITHOUT A COAX CONNECTED TO THE MODEM, OR EVEN NO MODEM...

Established Sharer

And then there is always the chance that someone is spoofing "TWCWiFI" or "CableWifi" SSIDs with their own router, hoping customers connect and pass their credentials to them for ilicit use...

And some of them (wifi AP's) may just be broken...

Community Manager

@Mcse4u

Recently, TWC Passpoint SSID's were changed to Spectrum WiFi and Spectrum WiFi Plus.  WiFI Plus does require authentication with your account credentials.  As @dstoffa, pointed out, the access point may not be working.  For assistance, we have a separate team that supports HotSpots, they can be reached at 1-888-851-9350. 

Spectrum Social Media Customer Care

Rookie

If we can get back on topic please. This is a legit hotspot. I can connect to the spectrum WiFi and it works fine. 

I just want to know from a Spectrum Tech, if the connection issue is relative to the individual hotspot, or possibly a wider issue, since I can authenticate, get an IP address, but everything times out. Obviously if I can authenticate my credentials, it is going past the hotspot to the server through multiple routers to complete the authentication process. So why can’t I hit the internet? 

Community Manager

@Mcse

Only the dedicated team has access to HotSpots.  For assistance please refer to the number provided.  

Expert

I answered that as well as Dstoffa...

You can connect to a abandonned twc/ spectrum hotspot that no longer has an internet connection.  If you loaded the Ap at home and logged in, It's validated in your devices cookies

The test is to see if there's also an open spectrum public working. If there's no internet on it either, it's either broken or abandonned. The Ruckus AP's are intelligent and support both, customer modes.

Contact the business owner.  Some don't even know they were installed along with their business service.  If they cancelled the phone/ IP/ TV services, the hot spot is usually no longer functional.

And  We've installed numerous "wifi" that have NO internet connections.  Many are for dedicated inhouse devices to replace interconnecting cables.  They really baffle smartphones, lol.