Observer

How Can I tell if TWCWiFI on my list of hotspots is really TWC and not a spoof access point?

Hello,

I wanted to try the TWCWIFI hotspot and see how it is.  There is no TWCWIFI passport available in my list of available hotspots. There is however one  TWCWIFI hotspot, BUT this TWCWIFI hotspot has no secure lock on it's wifi icon. I don't know if this is TWC or someone setting up a spoof TWC access point .

Should there be a secore wifi icon with TWCWIFI and TWCWIFI passpot?

I appreciate any comments. Thanks

4 REPLIES
Expert

Re: How Can I tell if TWCWiFI on my list of hotspots is really TWC and not a spoof access point?

Secure or not, both are spoofable.

Don't use an public wifi  for anything that needs security.

Observer

Re: How Can I tell if TWCWiFI on my list of hotspots is really TWC and not a spoof access point?

[ Edited ]

I never used a public hotspot before as these can be spoofed and sniffed using tools like wireshark if the connection is not encrypted.   Heck, even the NSA has spoof access pionts.

I always use the wifi at home.

However, I did wanted to try TWCWIFI, but when I saw no secure icon on this hotspot, I refuse to NOT connect to this hotspot.

If I ever do need to use wifi outside, I would opt for a VPN solution.

Anyway,  thanks MsRaye for the reply.

Expert

let me check one near here and see if it's secure.

Most legitimate TWC hotspots used Ruckus AP's , you could hit up their IP and see if you get the login gui

Helper

Use Passpoint 2.0, btw there is a map of TWC Hotspots if will be on the map if its legit.