Browser

Can't connect to VPN

Connecting to TWC WIFI Hotspots without any problems. But cannot connect to my home based IPSEC VPN. There are no entries in my server logs indicating even a hint of connection activity. Nor is there any evidence in my router log of any activity on ports 500 or 4500. I am able to connect to my VPN successfully from the local McDonalds and other "guest" networks, so I'm pretty certain TWC is blocking my access. Can anyone shed some light on this?

10 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Can't connect to VPN

Are you trying to run IPv6?

TWC does not allow servers on home class service, you must pay for business class service. CHA CHING!

You need to use a modem only, and a seperate router,  not a an advanced gateway

Browser

Thanks, @MsRaye.

No to IPv6.

Have own cable modem and separate router.

Not at all sure why it would matter that I run my own two-user VPN server. My TWC bill is paid with cash just as green as their business class customers, and, I'm clearly not cutting into their profits by simply accessing my lan from the road.

Expert

change port numbers.... verify your public ID is correct

Browser

Public ID is OK. Wish I could change ports, but the android VPN client app doesn't allow port number entry.

Expert

Try this with a real remote computer, it may be an ap issue...

Browser

If I wasn't able to connect from McDonalds and other guest networks, I would agree. It seems only to be TWC Hotspots for some reason. I doubt the android app would be selective. If anyone representing TWC is monitoring this thread, please jump in at any time.

Lead Moderator

We have a team that handles our TWC WiFi Hotspots. We would encourage you give them a call.

WiFi customer support line at 1-888-851-9350.

Thank you for participating in the Forums.
Have a good rest of the day!

Regards,
Julia R.
TWC-Social Media Customer Care
Moderator - TWC Community Forums

Browser

Thanks, @TWC-JuliaR. To better prepare for the call, I revisited a known TWC Hotspot in my area and was, in fact, able to connect to my VPN afterall. However, it took several attempts before I was able to connect to the hotspot itself. The difficulty might have been due to the signal strength, as I was positioned just outside of the establishment. I'll see how my luck runs over the next few days before calling the support folks.

Expert

The Wifi passpoints will continue transmitting the TWC beacon even though there's limited or no IP connectivity as in cut coax or dead -locked up modem.

Report it to the business management, they're paying for a working system and may be unaware that it's out since it's seperate from their TWC wireless/wired service.