Rookie

CNN login

When I go to CNN and try and watch live video it wants me to log in. First you have to find your sevice provider. There are tons of providers, probably close to 100, but Time Warner is missing. Why? How can you have 15 million customers and not have agreements with major companies like CNN? The fact that this has been going on for a long time is disturbing. I submitted feedback to TWC, CNN and the FCC. I say FCC because I, like millions of other Americans have one choice for cable and internet. I think both sides have a duty to negotiate in good faith. My question is, when will this be fixed? Is there another avenue I can take other than the three I listed?

This question was asked almost 2 years ago, has over 900 views, can't be commented on anymore, and still hasn't been resolved.

http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/TV-Everywhere/CNN/m-p/21733/thread-id/223/highlight/true

23 REPLIES
Lead Moderator

Re: CNN login

Our apologies for your frustration. 

CNN is available on our TWCTV website and App while on your home network. I do not have any information 

if or when this channel will be available through our service away from home.

We do appreciate your feedback and will pass this along to management.

Thank you for participating in the Forums.
Have a good rest of the day!

Regards,
Julia R.
TWC-Social Media Customer Care
Moderator - TWC Community Forums

Rookie

Thanks for the response and this is a nice place to view multiple channels when home but obviously falls short when I'm away from the house.

Do you have an answer as to why TWC is not one of the many cable providers that are able to use the CNN app or CNN website to access live streams? It requires that we log in and does not allow us to use TWC as an authorized cable provider. The number of CNN authorized cable providers makes it seem like a fairly standard service for cable customers with the very notable exception of TWC. Additionally, are there any plans to resolve this or a planned date when we could expect an update?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Jeremy, unfortunately we do not have any further information regarding live streaming via CNN. You can submit channel feedback at the link provided (just input your feedback in the "your channel request" field). 

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/channel-feedback.html 

Thanks for posting! 

Newcomer

Having the exact same problem. I cannot log into CNNgo because it doesn't let me choose Time Warner cable as my cable provider. Aren't CNN and Time Warner affiliated? 

Participant

[ Edited ]

There are a handful of channels that TWC seems to not be able to, or willing to negotiate streaming agreements with.  This has been going on for at least 2 years now.  They are:  Longhorn Network, CNN livestream, TNT, and TCM.  At least a couple of these channels, TCM and CNN livestream, are owned by the Time Warner spinoff (and so not the same company as Time Warner Cable) that happened a few years ago and I've always wondered if that had anything to do with the amazing lack of progress TWC has demonstrated in getting these channels available to stream or if there are other factors at work here.  Anyway...what I and others have learned from this is:  don't expect TWC to make any of these channels available to stream anytime soon, if ever.  Also, don't expect them to say a single word to customers about what, if any, progress they are making towards getting these channels available to stream despite countless requests for information.  All we ever get from TWC customer service is "Sorry we do not have agreements with these providers to stream these channels."  See the TWC posts above and the deafening silence to any and all requests for the status of the situation for proof.  The "channel request feedback" suggestion is just a red herring to make it seem as though customers can have any actual impact at all on what agreements TWC negotiates (or, more likely,  doesn't negotiate) with content providers.  It doesn't do a thing...I've posted to "channel feedback" myself...all I've gotten back so far is crickets.  Just terrible...and is a symptom of what occurs when companies have a monopoly on service.  To me at least, it's no wonder why so many people are, or are contemplating cutting the cord.

Rookie

First the Charter merger, now I find out no CNN on my laptop to watch while paying bills. People who close their TW accounts and have someone open a new one for them yearly with all the introductory rates, makes me feel like a real chump for having a conscience, and staying connected for decades. It is going to be fun going down to the local dive for laughs a couple times a week, reading real books and getting back to hobbies etc. I have been steaming for years, and this CNN thing popped the cork. I do not watch much television, am in this tier because it is the only way to get the four or five channels I really like, and dammit one little thing I should have, and paying for, I cant have. I truly would be happy if TW told CNN to take a hike and dropped them, and ecstatic if everyone received a token, symbolic rate reduction.

The only trouble is I want a land line and must have the telco service drop turned back on when the TW equipment is removed. RR has already been ditched years ago for terrestrial wireless WAN ISP . I called once about speed four or five years ago and they bumped me up until there were no more problems. Video streaming entertainment works just fine. Also, the price is the same now as it was when I first had it installed. They also have satellite service, but my goal is not to put all my media and telecommunications services under one provider. EVER AGAIN. I would rather pay more monthly and have the ability to tell someone to take a hike, because I will have a few options. What will eventually happen after TW and Charter merge? I hear things are going to be fantastic!

BTW there is apparently no way to log into the Cartoon Network. TW is not among the cable providers listed. In the words of Ren Hoek:You're darn tootin' I'm angry!

Rookie

Neither party seems to be working on a deal. I originally suggested submitting feedback to the FCC. I think the FTC is the better place though. I'm not sure which catagory is right but here's a couple of suggestions. You could choose Other and pick Cable and Satellite Providers for TWC or Internet Services -> Other Website Issues for CNN or do both.
https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/Information#crnt&panel1-1

Rookie

Well the FTC says that isn't the right place to complain. Maybe FCC, CNN, and TWC are the right choices. Or even the advertisers of CNN, Longhorn Network, TNT, and TCM; I'm sure they'd like to know that 14 million subscribers are being left out.

Participant

jfields026 wrote:

Well the FTC says that isn't the right place to complain. Maybe FCC, CNN, and TWC are the right choices. Or even the advertisers of CNN, Longhorn Network, TNT, and TCM; I'm sure they'd like to know that 14 million subscribers are being left out.

TWC apparently doesn't care, I've contacted the networks and gotten nowhere there either.  And evidently, the advertisers aren't hurt enough to want to do anything about it.  Again, it's not surprising that people are leaving cable companies in droves, and/or pirating content.  The absolutely stunning inablility to react to, or lack of comprehension of the changing paradigm in the TV and movie industry is one of the primary drivers of people to figure out how to get the content they want in spite of, rather than in concert with providers.  It's a repeat of what has happened in the music industry...rather than try to adapt their business model to effectively monetize their content in a new arena, the RIAA, on behalf of the recording companies, used strongarm techniques on consumers instead.  The music industry is finally, and mind-numbingly slowly, beginning to figure it out...I think.  The video industry is moving at a similar snail's pace, and, since it is a few years behind the music industry, will probably take a few more years to begin to figure it out.  The whole miserable situation is a sad commentary on how slowly mega-businesses respond to changing market conditions.  Add the monopolistic aspect to the mix and it's pretty clear how and why consumers have been, and will continue to be the ones who get the shaft.