Spectrum Employee

Linux & Time Warner Cable

[ Edited ]

Myself personally being a Linux user, would be interested in a forum regarding ways to utilize some of the Time Warner Cable services when using Linux. I have gone to great efforts to find work arounds to be able to use things like the new VoiceZone Connect, as well as TWC TV application on my home computer, with varying results.

Time Warner Cable does provide best effort on Windows & Macintosh platforms, though I find Linux, being a smaller group of users, often times gets left behind. This is true on many internet sites, software and computer related services, not just Time Warner Cable.

[Post edited to include the tags Linux & Ubuntu]

10 REPLIES
Spectrum Employee

Re: Linux & Time Warner Cable

The main reason things like TWCTV.com won't function on Linux is Silverlight, which delivers (licensed) content similar to netflix. There WAS an open-source alternative to Silverlight for Linux (Moonlight), but they decomissioned that product. As Silverlight is not going to be developed further, I don't forsee Moonlight coming back unless the developers see fit to do so.

Remember, if we have solved your issue, feel free to click "Accept as Solution!"
ant
Sharer

Ditto from a Linux user. Smiley Sad

--
Ant @ The Ant Farm and Ant's Quality Foraged Links
TWC Alumni

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the suggestion.  We will keep Linux users in mind as we grow the Community.

-----------------------------------------------------
Giving Enjoys is a great way to thank the Community!
Newcomer

Moonlight is still available for download from the twctv.com website.  Is that version not compatible?

Spectrum Employee

Most likely, that moonlight version won't fit with it. You're certainly welcome to try, but I know that version of Moonlight is a few revisions behind the current Silverlight. Give it a shot! (Note that we can't support the installation or troubleshooting of Moonlight)

Remember, if we have solved your issue, feel free to click "Accept as Solution!"
Newcomer

It's time to go with everyone else and code in HTML5. Silverlight is like Flash...it's a dead end, even on Windows. Use HTML5, and your apps will work for MAC, Windows, Linux, Chrome, Android, etc.

And yes, I use Linux, but Android IS Linux...if you can do this in Android, you can do this in regular Linux Distros. If you're concerned about app development costs, there is a large open source community that would assist for free. Think about it.

Highlighted
Newcomer

As far as Moonlight goes, that was never given proper support by Microsoft. You could never use it for things like Netflix, since the proper libraries for security were never released.

Speaking of Netflix, even they are going to HTML5. You can protect your content, and still satisfy users of all systems.
Newcomer

Here's what Linux users need to use the Time-Warner Live TV:

http://fds-team.de/cms/pipelight-installation.html

Any way that can be included in customer support in some way?

I just installed it on my Linux Mint and it works like a dream.

Newcomer

Working for me on Fedora 20.

I just followed instructions from link on last post.

+J.M.J.+