Not applicable

Spectrum Website TV Feedback

We are near completion of our trial of the Spectrum Internet-Only TV service.

We liked the service in general, and the sheer amount of content is excellent, but we will not continue the service at this time due to a few things that make the service a bit more frustrating than the other online TV methods that we've tried.

I found no place to officially provide feedback, so I'll do it here, I suppose!

Hopefully, you can use this feedback to improve some of the functionality that I describe beloww, as this service is almost good enough for us to subscribe to (when comparing it to other online offerings).

1. Website is fragmented (watch.spectrum.net)

- The Search doesn't search the live channels, or things in the guide. It only searches the 'on demand' items.

- You cannot click a show on the 'Guide' Tab and get to the live channel. Instead you have to 

Go back to the 'Live' Tab, and then scroll down and manually find the channel. (I can't even use Ctrl+F to find the text of the station, as for some reason the channel texts are not searchable. You can search the station's call sign in many cases, but you can't search for the station name (like 'HBO').

2. Disorganized Channel System/ Duplicate Channels

- I feel like part of this is a product of the 'HD' revolution leading to additional 'HD' channels to augment the 'Regular' channels, but in this service all channels are HD.

For example, I have regular old HBO showing the exact same thing in the exact same format on channels and 602, 603, 1603. It makes scrolling the channels tedious when pretty much every channel has at least one duplicate.

3. Infrequent Pauses for Buffering: It's not that bad in that I only see it a couple of times per day (usually in the later evening and back to back),  but I pretty much never see the "Buffering" screen on Hulu or Netflix Services, so I'm confident that our internet connection is not the problem.

4. On Demand Movies "Edited Formatted for Tv"

I know this one's probably unfixable, since it would depend on work from so many studios, and it's not a deal killer, but we don't like the way the TV studios edit movies for this service.

We're more 'director's cut' kind of people.

We don't mind commercials in the middle of movies, but when a movie is obviously edited or censored, I wonder if I got the full experience of the actual movie, which makes the experience less satisfying. 

I also found the way the aspect ratio was changed on some movies to fill the screen, was frustrating, and again left me wondering if I got the full experience of this movie (Star Wars 7 comes to mind here, as a couple battle scenes characters were just barely onscreen, rather than artistically framed in as in the original aspect ratio). It would be great if the 'original aspect ratio' was selectable like it frequently is on DVDs/Blu-Rays.

That's my 10 cents. I will certainly look at this service again once I confirm that some of these capabilities have been upgraded!

1 REPLY
Helper

Re: Spectrum Website TV Feedback

noomasil wrote:

I also found the way the aspect ratio was changed on some movies to fill the screen, was frustrating, and again left me wondering if I got the full experience of this movie (Star Wars 7 comes to mind here, as a couple battle scenes characters were just barely onscreen, rather than artistically framed in as in the original aspect ratio). It would be great if the 'original aspect ratio' was selectable like it frequently is on DVDs/Blu-Rays.

Completely agree...except then there are complaints from people that feel cheated because they have black bars on their new 60" tv.