N/A

Spectrum TV app and Spectrum TV

On the Spectrum website reads:

"The Spectrum TV app and SpectrumTV.com allows you to watch shows in the comfort of your home, the gym, a coffee shop - virtually anywhere on your favorite devices. Enjoy live TV and On Demand shows on the free Spectrum TV app and on your computer. You are able to view networks and shows that are included with your TV service."

But when I tried to use the TV app "in the gym or a coffeeshop" you get a message that reads:"for full access connect to your Spectrum internet service". Then I tried to use the spectrumtv.com site and my channels access is limited, if I want to program a recording using the guide I cant, and since yesterday I tried to get support via chat and phone to no avail. Nobody has a clue...

7 REPLIES
Spectrum Employee

Re: Spectrum TV app and Spectrum TV

When you are out of your home, you have a limited amount of channels that you can access. Since Spectrum is a location based service, they don't have the rights to broadcast all content everywhere, so channel lineup is limited. I know on mine that BBC America is always listed, but others are greyed out when I am away from home. As for the guide not letting you record shows, make sure that your dvr is running Navigator software and not iGuide. You may need to reboot your dvr. Have you successfully scheduled a show before with the app/website?
Boz
Sharer

Unfortunately, a lot of that advertising is, at the best, misleading.

The quoted verbiage in the original post seems to be from https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/tv/topics/spectrum-tv.html .

Proven Sharer

Spectrum does a horrible job of informing the customer base that the full lineup is only available when on your home network with Spectrum internet.

Since the OTT services all allow full lineup viewing anywhere (Sling TV, Vue, Directv Now, etc.) the cord cutters and cord nevers will force Spectrum and the other cable companies to change their strategy at some point. The companies that adapt to the wants and needs of the customers will survive...the ones that stubbornly cling to the past will die a slow death.

Established Sharer

@reds91185wrote:

Since the OTT services all allow full lineup viewing anywhere (Sling TV, Vue, Directv Now, etc.) the cord cutters and cord nevers will force Spectrum and the other cable companies to change their strategy at some point. The companies that adapt to the wants and needs of the customers will survive...the ones that stubbornly cling to the past will die a slow death.

The future is in data delivery.  I don't think Spectrum cares as much about a loss of video customers as the content providers (abcDisney, NBCU, Scripps, Viacom, etc) because Spectrum will sell data going forward.  It's those content providers who will need to figure out how they'll get their "per-subscriber" fees going foward...  When the content owners finally have a business model that shows they'll get more $$$ by selling a-la-carte or via-skinny bundle over what hey get now, then you'll see mini-tiers offered by the cable companies.  Soon I think.  Probably within 10 years.

Lead Moderator

While your Spectrum TV channels are limited we do have more than 80 Partner Apps/websites that provide access to the networks programming.

Those work out of the home and provide a plethora of entertainment and access. 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Boz
Sharer

Are you talking about the apps listed at https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/apps.html ?

Will all of those work outside of a subscriber's home network?

Is there a CURRENT listing of what channels should work outside of a subscriber's home network using spectrumtv.com / the Spectrum TV app?  There used to be one, but I don't see anything current.

I did find https://www.timewarnercable.com/content/dam/residential/pdfs/apps/twctv/TWCTV_Channel_List.pdf using a Google search, but that seems like an old list.

Participant

It's an enormously misleading ad campaign, recklessly so to be honest. And this is coming from someone that's C-suite marketing exec who spends days or weeks sometimes finetuning ad copy and campaign message to suggest and imply while staying just on the right side of things legally speaking. Theirs is the most ham-fisted and *  *  campaign I've seen in a long time.

Your best best, honestly, is to VPN into your home network and then watch whatever you want, many of us do. Still, this sort of *  *  rollout is only going to hurt them (and ultimately us customers via rate changes/service cuts, etc) when they're trying to position as an alternative to services like Sling that CAN deliver channels everywhere.  They're still a monopoly in most areas....sort of. Unfortunately they operate as if they're a complete one, which they no longer are.