Observer

Spectrum TV app DOESN'T work as advertised.

I subscribe to a digital cable package as well as internet service from Spectrum. I decided to switch to Greenlight internet service. I spoke with a Spectrum Technician, and he said that they would install something on my home network, that would allow me access to the full channel lineup.

I called this evening, and spent over 2 hours on the phone with their internet support and repair.  I was eventually told that I need to subscribe to their internet service in order to have full access to the channel lineup.

My complaints:

1.    Nowhere on Spectrum’s web site,  or in their Terms and Conditions does it say that you need to subscribe to Spectrum’s internet service for access to the full channel lineup. It states all you need is a video package of Standard (Expanded Basic) or higher.
 Spectrum TV Application Terms and Conditions

2.    When using the Spectrum TV App, channel availability is limited when viewing content       outside of your home. For your full Spectrum TV channel lineup, connect your device to your In-home WiFi network.
        TV Channel Apps FAQ

This is false advertising, and Spectrum needs to address this or they will continue to lose customers.

I’ll call one more time to give them a chance to resolve this. If they don’t, I will file a complaint with the FCC and State’s Attorney General’s office. I'll also considering Direct TV and bundle my AT&T cellular and TV services.

Has anyone else crossed this road?

9 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Spectrum TV app DOESN'T work as advertised.

This has been complained about before, but in the end, Spectrum can only supply full support to devices attached to the modem / router that is linked to your video account.  Otherwise, you could give your name and password to anyone and share the service with your kids across town, while they are at college, or your neighbors.  Content owners (big media) do not want this, so Spectrum must clamp down on sharing outside the home by employing two-factor authentication to gain access to your full channel lineup.  The MAC address of the cable modem (that they serve) or the MAC address of the router you rent from them is one part.  The second is your TWC ID/password.

Yes, the ads appear misleading, and I would agree with you that their TOS should be revised to require that to make use of their IPTV services, you must be connected to the modem/router attached to your Spectrum video account;  Spectrum internet is required.

I cannot use the app on my Roku outside the home, and can only watch FX, QVC, and the C-Spans on a PC when on the road.  I have much better luck with the individual channel apps.  I have Spectrum for internet and video.

Observer

I get why its that way, but aren't they bound by their terms of service? When I work with vendors, I rely on project scopes, statements of work, contracts, etc. These are in place to protect both the vendor and customer. they are legal documents that we and they are bound to.

Bottom line, they get away with this because they have monopolized CATV and ISP as far back as I can remember. The wind storm last year knocked down two of the neighbor's trees, which should give a a good shot at the sky. I guess I'll have to give it a try.

Lead Moderator

To use your video subscription at your home, on your 'home' network, we can put 

in a modem (gateway) that will allow you full access in the same way that it would 

function if you had our Internet service.  You would connect through this gateway 

to access it.   This gateway connection would be for use soley with the Spectrum TV 

product. 

Roku, Samsung TV and Xbox are not able to be used with this gateway device. You 

would have access to your Spectrum Line Up via web browser, some Android products and some Apple products. 

You can read more about the Spectrum TV product here:  Spectrum TV app

There are also 80+ applications for stations that we partner with listed. These can be used in or out of home. The platforms they are supported on are also included in that information. Exclusive Spectrum Apps & Partner Apps

If you would like to contact us for direct support in getting this installed in your home

please do contact us directly.   Forums_Help

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Observer

Julia,

Thanks for your response.

When I called yesterday, I spent over 2 hours on the phone and got no answer. I mentioned this "gateway", but they knew nothing about this.

Specificaly, who do I call?

Observer

I called Internet Support/Customer Care again, and they said that you were wrong. They said I need Spectrum Internet Service in order to have access to the full channel lineup.

If what you say is true, I need to know who to speak with.

I'm awaiting your reply. Thanks

Lead Moderator

Customers that have at least Standard (Expanded Basic) video service and do not have Internet service from Spectrum are eligible for a no cost installation of the gateway modem. 

Please do note that Spectrum TV for the Samsung TV, Roku and Xbox One do require Spectrum Internet and will not work with this solution. 

Please contact us directly here Forums_Help

We can put in a request to have a call for you to get this install set up. Further we can submit feedback on the agents with whom you spoke to get this information relayed. 

If you will please include

1. Your account number

2. Your service address for verification

3. Your best contact number and general available for a call to get this scheduled. 

Regards,
Julia R.

Newcomer

I found this discussion because I was thinking of going to 3rd party internet service but noticed the fine print inside the March statement/bill: "Charter authorized modem is required to stream on Roku, XBox One and Samsung Smart TV."

Aside from that, in this day and age the 'gateway modem' could be made to allow the streaming services but it would be detrimental to the company's bottom line and so they need to force the use of their services. It would only need to confirm the household as paying for cable TV services. That's it! It's no wonder people leave cable services altogether.

Lead Moderator

Good afternoon @Misled 

I received a message to indicate that we have scheduled the install of the Gateway.

Hope you have a great rest of the day! 

Regards,
Julia R.

Observer

They installed an all-in-one cable modem with wireless. In order to watch cable using the spectrum app, I have to connect to the new wireless network, which then connects through the cable broadband connection to the modem. They only allow access to the servers providing streams to the Spectrum app, and all other access to the internet is blocked.
I assume that Roku and Samsung not supported because they require internet access for the application to check for updates, app support, etc.
This is not an issue to me, because I don't have Roku or Samsung.