Spectator

Missing channels when viewing TV on my PC of thru the ROKU - IS this a MAC issue

When I look on the TWC web site for my account - it shows the MCARD MAC address as being connected.  When I look at my home router, the networked MAC address is the MOCA MAC and it is connected.  When I try to watch channel 308 NBA TV on the PC Viewer, it says that I am not on the TWC Wireless network that the cable box is on.  First, the cable box is not on a wireless network - it is wired and the MAC address is different.  The PC Viewer is looking for the MCARD MAC address - which it will not find on my network.  I have the same issue with the ROKU, though it does not come out and directly tell me this.  

So how can I get the MCARD MAC to show up on my home network or how do I get the TWC account to show the MOCA MAC as the correct MAC address.

This appears to be the problem that these cable boxes have three different MAC addresses.

My Sony PS3 can get channel 308 NBA TV using a cable card in an HDHomeRun so I know that the channel is available.

This is the most important channel for my son.  He can watch it on the regular TV thru the cable box - but can not watch it thru the Roku or thru the PC.

7 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Missing channels when viewing TV on my PC of thru the ROKU - IS this a MAC issue

Why are you using Moca?

Is it even installed properly with the correct splitters and POE filter in the proper places?

The cablecards have nothing to do with your home network, why are you trying to add it?

What roku uses a cablecard? Only Tivo's and the SD boxes have slots., no Coax connector on a Roku either, it's ethernet only, Did you try connecting a TA somewhere? Those have a MAC

Spectator

Re: Missing channels when viewing TV on my PC of thru the ROKU - IS this a MAC issue

If you connect the Cisco Cable Box to your home lan - the port is the Moca Port.  Not sure if you even need to connect to the local lan.

Not sure what a POE filter is - I definately don't have one.

The cablecard is for the HDHomeRUN - Which allows me to watch TV including all channels thru the PS3 and other devices.  I would like to get rid of it and use the Roku.

As for the Roku - there is no connection to the cablecard.  I am assuming that the Roku like the Viewing TV on a PC is looking for the CMARD MAC Address.  The Roku does not provide a message - it simply doesn't list the channel 308 - NBATV.  The PC TV Viewer shows that it is looking for the MCARD MAC on my home WIFI network.  To find the MCARD MAC on a WIFI network would require me to configure the CableBox to be WIFI - and I have not found anhy menus to do that.

So the question is really, is why is the PC TV Viewer looking for the MCARD MAC and how is it supposed to find it.  Then the next question is what is Roku looking for to validate that it can receive all the stations.

Expert

Ok,  I assume you're trying to use a Moca adapter at the roku and coax back to a splitter that has the cable modem/router on it rather than an ethernet or sireless connection. There must be a POE filter on the input side of that splitter to keep MOCA in your house and reflected back to all devices. Otherwise it will be marginal.

But with an ethernet cable or wireless,  there is no need for Moca which wouldn't work well if at all missing the POE.

Back at the SD homerun there should be a tuning adapter (TA) in line with the coax that feeds the SD homerun and also a usb cable between the 2. There also should be a Mcard in the SD homerun.

You should not have to enter anything in the router for TWCTV to work and I know of no cases where the mac address has to be entered anywhere other than TWC needs to know the mac of the Mcard and the TA's mac... The USB MAC doesn't need to be entered anywhere

The TA does not use MOCA BUT trying to run moca as well as a TA on the same coax is a known issue

It's also possible that the NBA channel is not available on TWCTV in your area

Spectator

Let's ignore everything stated previously as it is only causing more confusion.

Here's the real question - how does TWC App on the PC know that you are a valid user and provide all channels?    

The error I get when I try the NBA channel is "You can only watch this title when connected to your home TWC WiFi network".   I do not have a TWC Modem that has WIFI.  While I have WIFI in my home, my PC is connected to the Cat6 Lan.  And yes, I can watch the channel on the cable box on the TV.  So the channel is available to the TV via the Cable Box and it is not available to my PC  becuase it claims that it wants me to be on a WIFI.  I hope I don't have to get another modem just to watch one channel.  Of course there are other channels that have the same problem.

Same for the Roku.

Mark

Valued Contributor

The msg "You can only watch this title when connected to your home TWC WiFi network" usually means TWC-TV thinks that your computer is Not on TWC Internet (a.k.a. outside the home).  The TWC-TV app on the Roku will tell you 'not authorized' and lock up!

The physical connectivity (wired or wireless) MAC isn't relevant. TWC-TV only authenticates with your TWC id and verifies your WAN IP address.

If you look on the current 'streaming list' document 

https://www.timewarnercable.com/content/dam/residential/pdfs/apps/twctv/TWCTV_Channel_List.pdf on the 'external' channel list page 

https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/tv/channels-lineup.html

the NBA-TV channel is on the list, but is not available 'outside the home'.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moto DCX3200-M set top box, ODN 8.0.0
Spectator

Thanks for the response.  So I am still left with the question how does it validate and what to do when it won't validate?  How to trouble shoot this issue?

I saw in one PDF that there was a list of cable boxes that need to be used to make this work.  I don't know how old this list is or if the list is even relevant.  I have a new Cisco unit but it is not on the list.  

Still trying to make this work - especially with the Roku.

Lead Moderator

I see that this was never answered.

To validate permissions for SpectrumTV.com through your PC, on your Roku or through the other platforms we provide access on you need to be connected to Spectrum Internet.

If you do not have Spectrum Internet you will see the out of home message. 

We are able to install a modem that would provide internet access for use with the Spectrum TV product only.  It does not however provide a solution for the Roku, Xbox One or Samsung TV, all of the other supported devices can connect to that to provide use of the full channel line up. 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums