Newcomer

How does spectrumtv.com know you're on your home network?

So my brother has Spectrum Internet and Cable, with the online spectrum tv streaming. I have Spectrum Internet at my house. If I use his spectrumtv login on my home network, would it still say i'm away from home and not give access to all the availabe channels? 

4 REPLIES
Expert

Re: How does spectrumtv.com know you're on your home network?

Yup, it's away from his house

you might get 10 channels, no locals...

Established Sharer

shmal96 wrote:

So my brother has Spectrum Internet and Cable, with the online spectrum tv streaming. I have Spectrum Internet at my house. If I use his spectrumtv login on my home network, would it still say i'm away from home and not give access to all the availabe channels? 

You would not be able to access your full subscription package. The app authenticates via the modem that is tied to the account.

Valued Contributor

" If I use his spectrumtv login on my home"

And thus the reason we ALL cannot watch much away from home...

/Dan

Highlighted
Sharer

shmal96 wrote:

Credentials are tied to the MAC address of the modem for the account for which it was created.

You might be able to watch SOME channels with a web browser.  The only channels I can watch outside my own home with a web browser are FX, and CSPAN, plus the home shopping channels.

With a Roku, I can enter my credentials when asked, but the streaming app fails to authenticate and displays a message reading, "You must be connected to an authroized modem tied to your account" or something to that effect.

You can't pay for Cable TV at home and expect to make use of a TV app to replicate programming at your summer cottage...