Rookie

All channels not available

When I'm trying to watch TV online, on a computer, when I click "watch TV now", a channel list comes up on the left that tells what's on each channel now. A lot of the channels are greyed out a little, and when I click on any of those, a message comes up and says  "channel unavailable". Why? I have these channels at home on Spectrum Cable. For example, I can't get AMC to come up. Could anyone shed some light on this please?  Thanks!!

4 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: All channels not available

toonpup wrote:

When I'm trying to watch TV online, on a computer, when I click "watch TV now", a channel list comes up on the left that tells what's on each channel now. A lot of the channels are greyed out a little, and when I click on any of those, a message comes up and says  "channel unavailable". Why? I have these channels at home on Spectrum Cable. For example, I can't get AMC to come up. Could anyone shed some light on this please?  Thanks!!

You need to be connected to the modem which is associated with your Spectrum account (i.e. - you need to be at home) to watch the full lineup of programming.

Limited programming is available if you are "on the road" and not at home.  (I can only watch FX, CSPAN, CSPAN2, CSPAN3, and some home shopping channels when away from home).  This is by design in order to thwart the sharing of account credentials and milking the system.  Content owners don't want mom and dad to give passwords to their kids to use when they move out of the house and on their own.

You may have better luck watching programming via the dedicated apps / websites for each channel (i.e. - go to AMC.tv to watch AMC Programming live.)

Rookie

Thanks for responding! I wondered about the dedicated apps being an option..........I was just hoping to be able to view it all from one site. I guess I'm out of luck on that one. I can see the reasoning behind what they're doing........it makes sense. People will  take advantage of the system. You're definitely right, then, about the apps being the only way to go. I was really wondering what the heck was going on with all those channels unavailable!

Thanks again, really! I do appreciate it!

Proven Sharer

I believe that eventually cable companies will be forced to adapt to the generational expectations and provide complete "anywhere" access. The younger people coming up don't know anything else (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) and will not be teathered to one location like ahem...many of us are used to. I'm not sure it will happen though with a simple username and password type of system but something more robust...maybe tied to specific registered devices, biometrics, or other means that make sharing a little more difficult.

Established Sharer

reds91185 wrote:

I believe that eventually cable companies will be forced to adapt to the generational expectations and provide complete "anywhere" access. The younger people coming up don't know anything else (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) and will not be teathered to one location like ahem...many of us are used to. I'm not sure it will happen though with a simple username and password type of system but something more robust...maybe tied to specific registered devices, biometrics, or other means that make sharing a little more difficult.

Many young people (cord-cutters and cord-nevers) I know don't subscribe to cable for video programming.  Internet maybe, but not video programming.   The cable company can't sell "video to go" if they don't have video customers...

Content owners will find other ways to deliver their product to their younger customers, and the cable / DBS companies will probably not be involved, since this content will likely be delivered via TCP/IP.   CBS has already rolled out "All Access".  I expect other conglomerates to do the same or similar over time.