Newcomer

Adobe Flash Issues

As anyone who has logged onto the Spectrum web site knows, a black page with white letters displays saying that in order to watch TV (on your computer) you must have Adobe Flash installed. I use a Mac computer, but on-line computer experts appear to be in agreement that Adobe Flash puts users of any computer (windows or Mac) at high risk for hacking. In our Rochester (NY) paper this weekend, a computer expert who writes a widely read computer column advises at the close of his column "And, to be utterly clear: Yes. I recommend that whatever browser you’re using, whatever office suite you’re using, you should uninstall Adobe Flash."  Now to my questions: Why does Spectrum insist that we use a program that is highly suspect and risky to use? And, what alternative does Spectrum offer?

2 REPLIES
Proven Sharer

Re: Adobe Flash Issues

Chip wrote:

Why does Spectrum insist that we use a program that is highly suspect and risky to use? And, what alternative does Spectrum offer?

1. It takes time and money to reprogram software and in a big company the process is never quick, especially when their resources are being used to integrate 3 separate companies into one. You also have management that feels like "if it ain't broke, why fix it?"

2. Watch on your phone, tablet, smart tv, Xbox, or Roku.

Rookie

Re: Adobe Flash Issues

Unfortunately for now, to use Spectrum TV you need flash.  Yes, most are predicting its demise in the near future but that discussion has been going on for years and yet here we are. 

I remember a similar discussion about the extreme urgency to learn the metric system within the next few years as all distance signs will be in meters.  That was 1972.