Rookie

"Some channels unavailable"

Our router is a VPN router, the modem and cable box are both from Spectrum. Just downloaded Spectrum app for iPad, signed in, and this is what I see:

"Connect to Your Spectrum Internet for More

You're currently connected to (name of our wifi)

Due to programming restrictions, some channels are unavailable. For full access, connect to your Spectrum Internet service."

I also opened the app on a Kindle Fire HDX tablet, didn't get this error message. 

Can anyone explain?

6 REPLIES
Rookie

Re: "Some channels unavailable"

Correction: it's the same on Kindle app. So this messes up the plan to use a Roku for the upstairs television. 

Expert

Do you know what you're doing? Shooting yourself in the foot!

You can't use a VPN, period.

Use a modem and a NORMAL HOME ROUTER. TWC needs to see your actual home connection.

VPN will not work well if at all on a TWC/ Spectrum residential service, neither will IPv6!

Sharer

Chris5836 wrote:

Our router is a VPN router, the modem and cable box are both from Spectrum. Just downloaded Spectrum app for iPad, signed in, and this is what I see:

"Connect to Your Spectrum Internet for More

You're currently connected to (name of our wifi)

Due to programming restrictions, some channels are unavailable. For full access, connect to your Spectrum Internet service."

I also opened the app on a Kindle Fire HDX tablet, didn't get this error message. 

Can anyone explain?

Requests for streams must pass through a cable modem tied to your video account.  As Ms Raye has pointed out, using the VPN to connect your Roku to the internet bypasses the modem that Spectrum needs to see.

If you want to use your Roku and your apps for video service, you need to turn off the VPN and use / install a plain old wireless router.  I use Roku's at my home for video on two televsiions using a TP-Link wireless router...

By the way, hard wire (use ethernet cables for) your connections... your televisions will thank you.

Expert

VPN's make your TWC account look like "YOu're not at home" and yes, limitted channels.

You can run a vpn to your computer but I believe it requires an advanced or 2 seperate routers, the roku's or anything running TWCtv/ watchspectrum.net, must not be on the VPN one.. And yes, ethernet is your friend...

Rookie

dstoffa said "By the way, hard wire (use ethernet cables for) your connections... your televisions will thank you."

Understand the VPN needs to be ditched. We just got here from Germany, the VPN was necessary there. 

As to hard wiring the televisions - the one downstairs is directly connected to the Spectrum box with HDMI.  I want to connect the upstairs television to Spectrum via Roku (I think it's HDMI ) - is that what you mean by hardwiring? Sorry, been away from the US of A for a long time, trying to catch up with tech stuff here.

Highlighted
Established Sharer

Chris5836 wrote:

dstoffa said "By the way, hard wire (use ethernet cables for) your connections... your televisions will thank you."

I want to connect the upstairs television to Spectrum via Roku (I think it's HDMI ) - is that what you mean by hardwiring? Sorry, been away from the US of A for a long time, trying to catch up with tech stuff here.

What they are saying is that if the Roku has the ability to the connected to the router (or switch) via ethernet it is better. If your only option for the Roku is wifi it'll probably be okay as long as the wifi signal is strong.