Spectator

Why do you NOT support VPN on IOS??

Hi:  I ALWAYS enable my VPN service on a public WiFi.  It's the SAFE thing to do.  My Spectrum IOS app will not continue to launch when I'm on VPN.  My VPN provider can't see ANY reason why Spectrum would disable this invaluable safeguard.  So what's the reason that you don't allow VPN  security measures on your IOS apps?

13 REPLIES
Proven Sharer

Re: Why do you NOT support VPN on IOS??

What are you trying to do?
Spectator

What I’m trying to do is use my VPN service, when I am logged into my spectrum account. Spectrum will not allow that to happen. Spectrum IOS app will not continue to launch unless I turn off the VPN service.

My only option is to use cellular on my IOS devices, which sucks bandwidth, or use public Wi-Fi and be exposed to malicious Internet traffic. Unacceptable restriction .
Proven Sharer

Ok. Which app? The video app or the “my TWC” app?

You MUST be connected to the modem attached to your account to use the video app to watch video programming. Spectrum must see the MAC address of the modem the requests are coming from. If you use a VPN (even at home), the requests do not come from a Spectrum authorized modem, but your VPN server, and it won’t work.

Are you trying to use the video app?
Spectator

I want to watch television that does not require me to be connected to my home network, such as CNN or Fox. If I am on cellular they work fine. As soon as I try to connect to public Wi-Fi the spectrum app will not function.

This is the app I am using.

Spectrum TV by Charter Communications
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spectrum-tv/id420455839?mt=8
Proven Sharer

I use the same app on my iPod touch.

When I am at home on my home network, I can watch my entire TV lineup.

When I am connection to another network, I can only watch FX, CSPAN1, CSPAN2, CSPAN3, QVC, HSN, NY1, SpectrumNews, and some other programming not worth watching.  The same occurs if I try to watch via a web browser on a PC away from home, but I haven't tried that in at least a year.

The VPN prevents Spectrum from seeing where the request is coming from.  And  that may be the reason why it works when you don't use the VPN...  The VPN may provide you a public address that is out-of-country or something similar, and Spectrum simply blocks those IP addresses...

The app advises me to connect to my home LAN to view the enitre lineup when I am away from home, and lists the channels I cannot see...

When I had attempted to use the Roku app when on a TWC System (but not my own - at a rented home when I was on long-term company travel), the Roku Channel told me that I needed to be connected to the network associated with my credentials in order to view video programming.

I assume nothing has changed, or your results may vary slightly if you were on a different "Legacy" system.

The viewing of video programming requires two-factor authentication:

1. )   A user ID and Password

2.)  MAC address (Spectrum knows where the client is running, and it must be running behind a modem that Spectrum has tied the video subscription to (via the username and password.)

You must be a video and internet subscriber, and you must be on your home LAN to view the full lineup.

This two-factor authentication is employed to essentially prevent what is considered theft-of-service.  It effectively prevents you from:

1.  Sharing your credentials with your neighbors and splitting the bill.

2.  Sharing your credentials with your kids while they are away at college.

3.  Viewing programming (especially sports) when you are out-of-market.

You will have better luck using the partner apps (FX NOW, FOX NOW, HBO GO, AMC, etc.) then using Spectrum's app while on the road.

If you want to truly place-shift your entire lineup, you can buy a SlingBox.

Spectator

Hi:

thanks for the information.

You said, in-part

"2.)  MAC address (Spectrum knows where the client is running, and it must be running behind a modem that Spectrum has tied the video subscription to (via the username and password.)"

That requirement, by it's design, prevents me from using a VPN, because the VPN masks my true identity to those with nafarious intent.  This 2-factor ID reqirement, in my opinion, is nothing more than Spectrum's locking down their system because they don't want to loose a penny of profit.  

Unfortuantely, that makes my network interactions less secure.  A less than ideal solution from a service providor that is one of many that have a monopolistic hold on the end- user 's interactions with programming options and bandwidth.

Spectator

Sorry. Just an addendum then I'll end my soap-box.

I like using a VPN service because it is always secure and very easy to implement (except ONLY in this case). I'd prefer not to use another protocol to make my usage more secure. IF other providers utilized this same level of strangulation, I'd consider another option, but VPN works for me. Again, I appreciate your replies!
Proven Sharer

@ski542002 wrote:

Hi:

thanks for the information.

You said, in-part

"2.)  MAC address (Spectrum knows where the client is running, and it must be running behind a modem that Spectrum has tied the video subscription to (via the username and password.)"

That requirement, by it's design, prevents me from using a VPN, because the VPN masks my true identity to those with nafarious intent.  This 2-factor ID reqirement, in my opinion, is nothing more than Spectrum's locking down their system because they don't want to loose a penny of profit.  

Unfortuantely, that makes my network interactions less secure.  A less than ideal solution from a service providor that is one of many that have a monopolistic hold on the end- user 's interactions with programming options and bandwidth.

The requirements for "two-factor authenication" are put in place by the content owners and media conglomerates who want to reduce the amount of "password sharing" that goes on.  This is not a Spectrum issue.  (My folks cannot use their iPad to watch their Optimum Video service outside their home, either.)  Content owners want to monetize their content.   The risk of password sharing goes against their monetization goals.

Some content owners don't mind subscribers viewing their content outside the home.  I can watch FX on by PC at work if I choose.  However, most content is restricted to in-home use.  And the only way that requirement can be met is if the client is running on a Sprectrum-known-modem attached to the credentials provided.

If you want to watch video programming outside the home, you may have better luck with a service that is not tied down to one particular address, such as SlingTV, YouTubeTV, or DIrecTV Now...  The agreements in place for these OTT sevices are not dependent on your home's location nor restricted to your home LAN.

Helper

You would be able to access CNN and Fox from their own apps while on a VPN using your Spectrum info but NOT through the Spectrum TV app.

Also, if I'm not mistaken...isn't using a VPN technically against the TOS? I could be wrong.