Highlighted
Observer

WGN America on Roku

I have a strange problem that started a few days ago. I am no longer able to get WGN America on my Roku or IOS devices.  I still get it on my cable box. I have tried all the usual remedies (rebooting Roku, cable modem, set top box, etc. ). When I have had channel problems with Roku in the past you usually lose blocks of channels or everything.  I have never had just one channel go out. 

What I am wondering is if this is a Roku/Spectrum app problem or is there some kind of contract dispute going on between Spectrum and WGN?  As I said to have just one channel disappear seems weird.  I am a on a legacy TWC plan in SE Wisconsin.  Area code 53151. 

Just wondering if if anyone has any insight into this or is also missing WGN. 

3 REPLIES
Lead Moderator

Re: WGN America on Roku

Good morning.

You are missing this through the Spectrum TV product correct? I do not see WGN-TV 

on the list of partner apps/websites.

How are you trying to watch the channel? 

We do not have a contract dispute with the channel, if that were the case you would not have access to that through your cable box. 

First thing I would suggest is to unplug the power to your cable box and your modem. (If you are using a router please also unplug the power to that) Please wait a minute or so and then plug back in the power to your cable box. It will reboot then. Then please plug in the power to your modem. Once that reboots, if you are using a router, then plug in the power to your router.  During this time please also make sure you are not actively logged into the Spectrum TV "channel". 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Observer

Well today, without doing anything, WGN mysteriously reappeared. 

As as I stated previously it was the Spectrum app where the channel was missing.  WGN has some independent apps, but none stream their full WGN America channel. 

I am curious from your reply.  You seem to imply that every channel available on my box will be available on Roku. Is this true?  No channels forbid streaming only?  

I do think this is what tends to drive people crazy about your app. Why would only one channel disappear for two days then suddenly reappear. I actually like Roku in general and it has been more stable lately, but it is this random weirdness that gets to me sometimes. 

Lead Moderator

You should have the same channels as you do on  your cable box. If not we can check on that.

There can be a number of reasons why you may have a missing channel, in most cases it is because the equipment is out of sync. A reboot of the modem/router/cable box usually 

corrects that.  In some cases it is an issue with the Internet connection. Even when you, the end user, does not see an issue with the Internet connection there can be issues behind the scenes that effects delivery of the streaming product.  The stream of the channel on Spectrum TV is not the same as the one delivered to your cable box. It is  delivered through a different server.   If you should experience further issues please feel free to visit us here.  You can also contact us for direct support if you like.

Twitter: @Ask_Spectrum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Spectrum

Regards,
Julia R.

Regards,
Julia R.