Highlighted
Newcomer

Using Roku without settop box

New Spectrum customer here --- discovered the Spectrum App on Roku --- as far as I can tell, it works great for the basic channels that I want. I called Spectrum and they told me that I had to have at least one setup box in the house for the Roku to work. No matter what I asked, (e.g. is the Roku streaming the stations from the set top box (answer, of course, no!)) they insisted I had to have at least one settop box to "guarantee" service. I don't even know what that means. To me it sounds like they just want me to pay rent for a box that I don't need.

I have the settop box powered off (unplugged from electric power, not just switched off) and Roku app continues to work fine.

Can someone tell me definitely why I must have a physical settop box? I understand I have to pay for TV channels but not why a physical box is required.

3 REPLIES
Sharer

Re: Using Roku without settop box

[ Edited ]

DavidJameson wrote:

New Spectrum customer here --- discovered the Spectrum App on Roku --- as far as I can tell, it works great for the basic channels that I want. I called Spectrum and they told me that I had to have at least one setup box in the house for the Roku to work. No matter what I asked, (e.g. is the Roku streaming the stations from the set top box (answer, of course, no!)) they insisted I had to have at least one settop box to "guarantee" service. I don't even know what that means. To me it sounds like they just want me to pay rent for a box that I don't need.

I have the settop box powered off (unplugged from electric power, not just switched off) and Roku app continues to work fine.

Can someone tell me definitely why I must have a physical settop box? I understand I have to pay for TV channels but not why a physical box is required.

You probably need to have one linear video outlet attached to your account so their encryption system can tie your video programming to something.  The Roku is IP, so it doesn't count.  You might be able to get the rental cost down by telling them you want to rent a cable card instead of a set top box.  Don't know if that will work, but it might be worth a try.

I have no Set Top Box, but have three DTA's. I am also a legacy TWC customer who has not migrated.

You might want to plug your box in and have it connected every so often so that they don't accidentally cancel your video serice.

You may also want that linear service in the event the internet craps out...

Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I remember right, you can get around it by using a Digital Adapter instead of the cable box.  Still have to rent those out, but it should be cheaper than the box.  Since they have gone to digital signals now, they reguire something to be on your line to authenticate with periodically for granting the temporary leases for the IP streaming to a set-top box.  Guessing it is a means for them to deal with account sharing by forcing the on-site hardware authentication instead of simply checking the account entries in the database--both devices not in the assigned subnet, authentication denied kind of thing.

Waiting to see if the new streaming only option takes hold or not... still in a testing phase last I read.  Was gonna be a limited selection of channels to compete with the likes of DTVNow, Hulu Live, and Sling, for around the same price points--targetted at the Spectrum Internet Only crowd.  This could be a very attractive option for people that don't need all the channels offered in the TV Select or higher broadcast tiers, provided they have he right channel line up in the package(s).  After all... it is why they lost so many broadcast subscribers to the likes of PSVue and Sling in the last couple years.

Sharer

RAIST5150 wrote:

If I remember right, you can get around it by using a Digital Adapter instead of the cable box.  Still have to rent those out, but it should be cheaper than the box.  Since they have gone to digital signals now, they reguire something to be on your line to authenticate with periodically for granting the temporary leases for the IP streaming to a set-top box.  Guessing it is a means for them to deal with account sharing by forcing the on-site hardware authentication instead of simply checking the account entries in the database--both devices not in the assigned subnet, authentication denied kind of thing.

Waiting to see if the new streaming only option takes hold or not... still in a testing phase last I read.  Was gonna be a limited selection of channels to compete with the likes of DTVNow, Hulu Live, and Sling, for around the same price points--targetted at the Spectrum Internet Only crowd.  This could be a very attractive option for people that don't need all the channels offered in the TV Select or higher broadcast tiers, provided they have he right channel line up in the package(s).  After all... it is why they lost so many broadcast subscribers to the likes of PSVue and Sling in the last couple years.

I was always under the impression that the MAC address of your modem would effectively be enough authentication for watching video programming at your home, on your LAN, with a Roku...  DTA's do not talk back to the head end, so they can't report that they are refreshed, or even working.  You just hope they work...

To that end, I still beleive, since everything is now encrypted, you need SOMETHING in your home that can decrypt the linear signal.  If you don't have a DTA, Set Top Box, or a CableCard, then how can you watch video programming?  (Their account setup probably requires at least one device when you have video service at all).

For Spectrum, set top boxes are $5 per month.  DTA's are not available.

For legacy TWC customers who have not migrated, boxes are $11.75 per month, DTA's are $4 per month.

CableCards are still the cheapest way (fee-wise) to have one digital outlet in the home...  But if you need to pair the CableCard, then you may be SOL becuase you'll then need to buy a Tivo or other similar equipment.