Observer

Two Spectrum accounts = Trouble with Roku 3rd party apps

I have two Spectrum accounts; one in my primary residence (formerly TWC) and one in my 2nd home (formerly Charter).  The primary residence account has internet + video while the 2nd home has internet only.  We have Rokus on multiple TVs at both homes.  I know I won't be able to use the Spectrum app in the 2nd home.  The problem I'm encountering is when I try to use my primary credentials to login to a 3rd party app like the ABC app at the 2nd home.  I get an error that indicates I don't have the correct level of service at that location.  Are the 3rd party apps somehow checking the modem/network for the "home" location like the Spectrum app?

3 REPLIES
Highlighted
Proven Sharer

Re: Two Spectrum accounts = Trouble with Roku 3rd party apps

Is this with all third party channel apps or just abc?

What about other devices?

Observer

I've run into it with several different 3rd party apps, but I wasn't keeping track of which ones.  I do know that ABC is one of them.  I think the issue is with the activation process and that it may be a Spectrum issue.  My guess is that Spectrum doesn't like me activating an app with credentials that are linked to another account and modem even though they are both my accounts.  The message comes up after attempting to activate the app.  Apps that don't require activation work fine.

I should also point out that this just started happening earlier this year.  Before that I was able to activate and watch the 3rd party apps with no problem. 

I don't use any other devices beside the Rokus.

I have found a way around it using a hot spot.  I have to disconnect the roku and the tablet that I use for activation from the Spectrum internet and then connect them both to the hot spot.  I can then activate the app.  Then I reconnect  the Roku to the Spectrum internet and the app stays active for a period of time (weeks to months).  It's a bit of a hassle. 

Proven Sharer

@Rocket wrote:

I've run into it with several different 3rd party apps, but I wasn't keeping track of which ones.  I do know that ABC is one of them.  I think the issue is with the activation process and that it may be a Spectrum issue.  My guess is that Spectrum doesn't like me activating an app with credentials that are linked to another account and modem even though they are both my accounts.  The message comes up after attempting to activate the app.  Apps that don't require activation work fine.

I should also point out that this just started happening earlier this year.  Before that I was able to activate and watch the 3rd party apps with no problem. 

I don't use any other devices beside the Rokus.

I have found a way around it using a hot spot.  I have to disconnect the roku and the tablet that I use for activation from the Spectrum internet and then connect them both to the hot spot.  I can then activate the app.  Then I reconnect  the Roku to the Spectrum internet and the app stays active for a period of time (weeks to months).  It's a bit of a hassle. 

Your guess is basically acccurate.  You need to activate the 3rd party apps with credentials belonging to the modem MAC address and internet account you are actually using. There is no linking between multiple accounts issued in your name.  You should be able to fix the issue by moving your Roku or hotspot over to the internet connection belonging to the account where your credentials are registered.

It's really the program content providers who are forcing this new level of security by Spectrum.  They want to ensure that you are paying Spectrum for the material being viewed so they can collect their share.