Highlighted
Rookie

TWC subscription and Roku

I have been a TWC internet customer for about a year.  I have also been just using an antenna and a Roku for my TV for that time.  I saw the TWC channel on the Roku and decided to get a Standard Digital subscription.  In order to get this to work, do I need to have a cable box, too?  The over-the-phone support wasn't clear on that.  They said everything should just work because I already have TWC interent, a Roku, and a TWC ID.

16 REPLIES
Spectrum Employee

Re: TWC subscription and Roku

It's supposed to work with a minimum level of Standard/Expanded for video service, which it looks like you have.

Were you just installed with TV?  It can sometimes take 24-48 hours for the MyServices system to update.

Newcomer

You do not need your cable box if you have the broadband internet service.  The Roku is an internet streaming device that works off your WiFi, no cable box needed.  Get the app on your Roku and you are good to go after signing into your WiFi access.  What kind of antenna are you using for your OTA channels (local channels).  I have yet to find one for my HDTVs that seems to work consistently?  The TWC app does not have local channels or I have not found them yet.  Hope this helps.

Browser

Hi DamanV,

You'd need a cable box without which standard/digital service will not be accessible. The TWC TV online app is a part of the standard/digital cable subscription.

Smiley Happy
Browser

It was my understanding also that a set top box would not be needed. What is up with not being able to get the local channels since they are being provided through TWC service? 

Thanks

Established Sharer

TWC TV apps, including Android, iOS, and Roku are extensions of cable TV service. A cable TV subscription is needed to view channels using the app. A cable box is required as part of the package. 

Newcomer

the question was does he need to have a cable box as part of the subscription not if he needs a tv subscription. my question is why would a person need to have a cable box if they are going to stream the channels through roku?

Browser

jshp197 wrote:

the question was does he need to have a cable box as part of the subscription not if he needs a tv subscription. my question is why would a person need to have a cable box if they are going to stream the channels through roku?

I am with you on this. Why would you need a box if streaming with the Roku? Also, why can't local and network channel be received since they are part of the subscription? 

Established Sharer

You should be able to view any channels that are both available to your subscription and part of the TWC TV line up.

Browser

Ok, I just received my Roku today and if I have any problems I will be in contact. Thank you