Browser

Re: TWC App Skipping and Buffering Issues

I have been having the same problems since October with the on demand shows and now with the "update" I am having terrible problems with the live shows as well.  The roku will just shut down and reboot during a live show.  Before the update the roku only reboot during an on demand show.  TWC just seems to indicate that they know they have a problem but either can't figure out how to fix it or won't.  This has been very frustrating.  About ready to change service providers. 

Newcomer

This buffering and reboot issue is a problem I'm having as well. It only is occurring on the TWC TV app on my Roku 3. I have 200mb service and would like a fix. If TWC can't get the fix for app only viewers, then there are other broadband provider options. Maybe they should just pay an outside company to fix their software. Small price to pay for customers paying 150 to 200 dollars A MONTH!!!

Participant

I have been seeing freezing video and buffering (progress bar with the "Loading..." message) from time to time over the past couple of weeks.  Today it is very bad on MSNBC and Fox, to the point those channels are unwatchable.

It's not a network issue.  My Roku is hardwired.  No other app (HBO, PBS, CBS, Netflix, Hulu, ...) has any problems.

I have given up on this stupid app.  As soon as this http://about.att.com/story/three_new_ways_to_access_and_stream_directv_video_content.html is available I'm outta here.

Observer

I contacted Roku customer support and have had some early success with the stuttering-skipping. I live in SoCal and have had bad skipping with KTLA during the morning news. Since I changed a setting in my Roku, I have not noticed a problem.

The key setting is the bandwidth setting in the Roku. It's set in one of the "hidden" menus. To get there, press Home x5, Rewind x3, Forward x2. In one of those menus you'll find a speed setting. The default is "Automatic". Change that to 3.5 Mbps (or perhaps any setting your network can handle). Since making that change, I haven't experienced the stuttering.

The one tricky part is that any Roku restart will change that setting back to "Automatic", so monitor it because it seems the Roku sometimes restarts itself without me knowing.

Rookie

I was told to do this yesterday, been expirencing this issue for about 2 months and getting old but with an older house with no wired ethernet or cable the wireless Roku units were the perfect solution until for some unknown reason this problem started.

Valued Participant

[ Edited ]

rcrexer wrote:

I contacted Roku customer support and have had some early success with the stuttering-skipping. I live in SoCal and have had bad skipping with KTLA during the morning news. Since I changed a setting in my Roku, I have not noticed a problem.

The key setting is the bandwidth setting in the Roku. It's set in one of the "hidden" menus. To get there, press Home x5, Rewind x3, Forward x2. In one of those menus you'll find a speed setting. The default is "Automatic". Change that to 3.5 Mbps (or perhaps any setting your network can handle). Since making that change, I haven't experienced the stuttering.

The one tricky part is that any Roku restart will change that setting back to "Automatic", so monitor it because it seems the Roku sometimes restarts itself without me knowing.

Thanks, that workaround also gave me good results for my Roku 3. Hope it will hold up long term, since I've had video issues for a long time.  Just want to mention that you need to press those buttons fairly fast for the hidden menu to show up. 

Observer

Has anybody seen where your Roku 3 actually reboots while the TWC app is buffering? I have been seeing buffering more and more on various devices, but the reboots are almost constant, lately. Roku's that are wired are on a gigabit backbone. Internet is 20mbps.

Rookie

I'm having the same problems. It started about 2 weeks ago, but only on certin channels like Fox News, and Fox Business. It kills the signal, and forces the ROKU to rebooth. Again - This only happens on certin channels using the TWC app. Very Strange.

Observer

JoeBuehl wrote:

I have been seeing freezing video and buffering (progress bar with the "Loading..." message) from time to time over the past couple of weeks.  Today it is very bad on MSNBC and Fox, to the point those channels are unwatchable.

It's not a network issue.  My Roku is hardwired.  No other app (HBO, PBS, CBS, Netflix, Hulu, ...) has any problems.

I have given up on this stupid app.  As soon as this http://about.att.com/story/three_new_ways_to_access_and_stream_directv_video_content.html is available I'm outta here.

I have the same problems, with this terrible app. Almost every time something does not work right. I have one Roku 2XS hardwired and a Roku TV that is wireless (Many time's I have to unplug the Roku TV!) Because it is locked-up. My internet speed is 30/5 and I have no problems with Netflix/Hulu/Amazon ect. 

Spectator

This 'fix' didn't work for me. on my Roku 2.