Contributor

Re: TWC App Skipping and Buffering Issues

I never got good performance from the TWC app when I used the stick. That being said, I still get some stuttering and errors on some channels while using a Roku 3. I'm of the suspicion it's a server issue on TWCs end. It's quite frustrating. I have 200 Mbps connection and it will still do this. That's way more than enough bandwidth.

Similar issues here.  I agree with others that the broadcast channels (CBS, NBC, ABC, etc.) seem worse.  Sort of frustrating during SuperBowl on CBS a couple weeks ago.  Same thing today watching golf on CBS.  The problem is rarely buffering, just slight sub-second skips in video and audio.

Observer

At this point I've pretty much given up on watching anything on live TV because of the stuttering. The same programs OnDemand work perfectly so I'll just catch them a day or two later. 

Everyone's Tags (5)
Newcomer

I have both a Roku Stick(Wifi) and the Roku 3(Wired) and both are now stuttering and buffering all the time. When we first moved to the TWC TV App it wasn't bad with only an occasional issue but now it is almost unusable. At best it is a severely inferior viewing experince to the Analog/QAM signal we've been using.

I suspect that now that TWC is killing the analog/QAM signals in our area that more people are using the TWC TV App. Especially, since the Cisco black boxes are awful with poor quality picture sizing, no ability to delete unused channels, a remote that looks like it comes from the 90s, just one more separate box to get ripped off monthly for, etc.

If TWC isn't careful and doesn't heavily invest in it's infrstructure and soon, it might find itself loosing a lot more business to other TV providers as everyone makes the transitiion to Internet TV(IPTV). The last service that will carry them for a while is that they are the only option for Broadband in many areas. However, if they keep resting on monopoly market share - it will be easy for adept competitors to make them obsolete.

Apparently, they don't have anyone high enough in the chain of command with a clear sense of technological direction. This lack of leadership is going to continue to hit their bottom line until they find someone and give them enough control to move them into a competitive direction. I think perhaps the short term loss has made them blind to the long term gains that going all IP would give them.

Observer

Yes, I am experiencing the same issue with almost all of my streaming devices: the stuttering occurs only on live-streaming type channels, such as KTLA or CBS. I also experience buffering at least once per hour-long show and sometimes the stream does not come back. I do not experience the stuttering or buffering on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, OnDemand, or other on-demand-type services.

I have spent the past week working on this issue to no avail. I will briefly share my experiences, hoping that it will help someone:

• I have tried three (OMG!) different modem/router combinations: same problem
  • I have tried wireless versus ethernet connections: same problem
  • I have tried Rok2, Roku3, XBox 360, XBox One: same problem, though manifests just slightly differently on each.
  • I have tried the TW App on my iPad Air: seems ok, but needs further testing. I am working on the assumption that iPad just does a better job at masking the problem.
  • I have run the browser-based Time Warner stream on my PC: maybe ok. The feed is still SLIGHTLY jerky compared to cable box or the streaming devices. It would probably not be noticed by anyone. I only notice it when I compare against the streaming devices or straight cable box.
  • I investigated "bufferbloat" and eliminated it from my online speed tests: same problem
  • I capped off all of my "loose" coaxial connectors with 75 ohm resistors: same problem
  • I have powered down my entire network and restarted: same problem
  • I have factory reseted all of my devices: same problem
  • Per TWC suggestion, I have changed my wireless channels to the least congested in my neighborhood. Yet, I tried to explain to them that this issue arises even on ethernet: same problem
  • Per TWC suggestion, I have changed my wireless security settings to allow for all security protocols for passwords (e.g., WPA, WPA2). Again, I tried to explain that my issue arises even on ethernet: same problem
  • Per TWC suggestion, I have switched from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz. Again, I tried to eplain that my issue arises even on ethernet: same problem

There are a few indicators that the problem may not be isolated to the TW App:

• On certain iPad games that require internet, I often have connection/disconnections problems. I generally only play one of these games, so it may only be that one game.
  • I frequently watch Twitch.tv on my iPad, Roku, and PC. On all three devices the streaming will eventually buffer to the point of freezing up and requires a restart.
  • When playing shooter online games on my WiiU, I experience lag spikes and disconnects.

I am currently working with TW to test signals and such. They keep telling me the signal is fine. I am subscribed to 300Mbps and speedtesting at about 350 Mbps. I have run about a dozen quality tests at DSLReports and consistently get A, A+, A, now that I have addressed bufferbloat. There is a technician coming out on Saturday. I have recorded video of the television stream problem to show them.

Newcomer

I'm having the same issues. It must be something with TWC app. I have no problems with any of the other apps. There was an update last week and we've been having the problem ever since.

The TWC Roku app hasnt worked for us over the past 2 days. Prior to that, we always had a lot of skipping, just thought it was standard. Our cable/internet bill is about $180/month which is a bummer because at this point, we are essentially donating monthly to TWC and getting nothing in return. I did run a traceroute (though im not sure how to interpret it). Its pasted below, I removed some IP's because im not sure if it makes our network vulnerable to post them. I've been seeing a lot of FIOS vans around the neighborhood. Ill probably go that route once its available. At any rate, here's the tracert. If anyone has any ideas, I'd really apreciate it:

Traceroute has started…

traceroute to video2.timewarnercable.com (X.X.X.X), 64 hops max, 72 byte packets
 1  X.X.X.X (X.X.X.X)  8.812 ms  4.052 ms  6.526 ms
 2  X.X.X.X.nyc.res.rr.com (X.X.X.X)  52.554 ms  43.054 ms  43.836 ms
 3  X.X.X.X.nyc.rr.com (X.X.X.X)  32.837 ms  41.208 ms  20.598 ms
 4  X.X.X.X.nyc.rr.com (X.X.X.X)  24.938 ms  50.433 ms  31.619 ms
 5  X.X.X.X (X.X.X.X)  62.250 ms  45.380 ms  51.184 ms
 6  X.X.X.X.tbone.rr.com (X.X.X.X)  102.090 ms  68.989 ms  47.209 ms
 7  X.X.X.X.tbone.rr.com (X.X.X.X)  50.495 ms  59.010 ms  100.085 ms
 8  X.X.X.X.tbone.rr.com (X.X.X.X)  42.857 ms  39.866 ms  51.703 ms
 9  X.X.X.X (X.X.X.X)  146.557 ms  129.393 ms  53.833 ms
10  X.X.X.X (X.X.X.X)  47.541 ms  46.951 ms  52.828 ms
11  X.X.X.X (X.X.X.X)  52.208 ms  74.550 ms  40.068 ms

Newcomer

Same here. The buffering is really bad. The Roku app is bordering on being useless at the moment.

so what is the solution for your problem? it seems that we're all having the same problem with reloading.. why don't TWC publishes the fixes for this common problem?.. TWC keeps advertising that you can watch TV everywhere, but none of them works.. we should ask for a refund, since they charge $200/mo for a bundle services, but they did not deliver as promised..

Observer

Your traceroute pings are not terrible. Try running the full test here to test for your buffers. While I couldn't remedy my buffers with the TWC Roku app, I was able to fix other connection issues after receiving data from here:

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

Additionally, as you might see on my post above, I've done extensive troubleshooting on the TWC app. It's very likely that the problem is with the app that runs on certain OS's. The app seems to run fine on iOS, but struggles with Roku, XBox, and on a Windows web-browser.

The only way this is going to get resolved is if everyone keeps putting pressure on TWC to fix the right problem.