Valued Participant

TV channel guide on Roku Spectrum app too small to read

My Spectrum TV channel guide (from the TW/Spectrum TV app) is much too small for me to read well. I am 61 years old and my eyesight has been bad all my life. I have a 19" flat screen TV, but there are no adjustments to increase the size of the guide or anything else. I am at my wits' end with this problem, as I now have no way of knowing what channel I am watching. Is there any way I can increase the size of the letters on the guide, or am I stuck with the thing the way it is? I watch a lot of TV and would like to know what I am seeing on my set without having to spend five minutes trying to read the guide. Neither the channel number buttons or the channel up-down buttons on my remote (RCA RCR-313BR three-device universal) work with the Spectrum Roku app; I must use two buttons on the remote itself (these are located directly above the number buttons) to change channels, but again, I have no way of knowing when to stop when I see my desired channel. Is there any way I can program my universal remote so the channel number buttons work with the Spectrum Roku TV app?

Thank you.

Jeff 

Fairport Harbor, Ohio 44077

I have called Spectrum several times about this issue and am getting nowhere--no one I talk to can help me. I just got off the phone with a Spectrum representative a few moments ago who was no help to me whatsoever. The person had a thick foreign accent (does Spectrum even have American customer service representatives anymore?) and kept asking me the same questions over and over, such as do I have a bill I can read my account number from, etc. (I cannot read well due to my vision problem.) I give this person the same answer each time, and I am tired to death of repeating myself. To make matters even worse, I do not drive so cannot get to a Spectrum store, and I am not comfortable with giving my account information over the phone to someone I do not know and have never heard of.  Why do the representatives keep asking me the same questions over and over, when I give them the only answer I know?

I am very, very disgusted with Spectrum's customer service, and would cancel my service immediately if my television reception were not as bad as it is in my area (I do not get two important network affiliates over the air, with an antenna, and I live in an apartment building so I cannot put up an outside television antenna). 

Another problem I am having is with changing channels using my RCA universal remote, model number RCR-313BR. Neither the channel number buttons nor the channel up/down button (a blue bar with +/- on it) on this remote work with the Roku Spectrum TV app. This forces me to use two buttons on the remote, located on a white ring directly above the keypad with an "OK" button in the center, to change channels. Is there any way to program this remote so the keypad will allow me to change channels directly, without having to scan up and down through a long list? If this is not possible, what other type of remote can I use that will allow me direct access to the channels I wish to watch?

Thank you.

Jeff 

4 REPLIES
Lead Moderator

Re: TV channel guide on Roku Spectrum app too small to read

Good afternoon.

Here is a website that has some information about Guide Narration.

https://www.spectrum.net/support/accessibility/talking-guide-information-and-support/

You can also contact them directly at: 

(844) 762-1301

or via Email 

PriorityEscalationTeam@chartercom.com

for information about the Roku Audio Guide you can visit: 

https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/spectrum-tv-support-roku-audio-guide/

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Valued Participant

TV channel guide on Roku Spectrum app too small to read

Thank you for your prompt reply. However, in my post  I asked another question regarding my RCA universal TV remote which was not answered. Is it at all possible to program an RCA RCR-313BR 3-device universal remote so that the direct-access keypad will work with a Roku Internet device? I would appreciate a response to this, as it doesn't seem right to me that the keypad (and the blue channel up/down bar) on the remote will not work with Roku devices. As it stands, I can navigate the channel guide using the up-down controls located directly above the keypad (they are located in a circle, on a white ring with an "OK" button in the center), but I would much rather use the keypad if it is possible. If this is for any reason not possible, are there any universal remotes with the direct-access keypad which will work with Roku devices? One such remote that comes to mind as I write this is the Logitech series; however, those remotes are very expensive and are out of my price range.

Regards,

Jeff

Helper

@jhs190wrote:

Is it at all possible to program an RCA RCR-313BR 3-device universal remote so that the direct-access keypad will work with a Roku Internet device?

No. The Spectrum TV app currently does not support direct channel inputs like a cable box. Scrolling through the list is the only option. What you can do though is create a set of favorite channels so you don't have as many to scroll through for most of your viewing habits.

Highlighted
Valued Participant

@reds91185wrote:

@jhs190wrote:

Is it at all possible to program an RCA RCR-313BR 3-device universal remote so that the direct-access keypad will work with a Roku Internet device?

No. The Spectrum TV app currently does not support direct channel inputs like a cable box. Scrolling through the list is the only option. What you can do though is create a set of favorite channels so you don't have as many to scroll through for most of your viewing habits.

Thanks much. I made a list of my favorite channels as you suggested, and it works. My current level of cable service (Spectrum Starter TV) doesn't have that many channels, but it has enough that scrolling through the entire list (on the order of 20 channels) takes a while to find a favorite one. The favorite channels list narrows this down to about ten channels (my area's locals, plus three favorite cable channels which I selected when I signed up for the streaming cable service), which makes it much easier to find the station I wish to watch.