Rookie

Spectrum choice streaming quality

Have rokus and Roku TV's. Netflix, Amazon , YouTube tv and Plex steam perfectly in every room.

Use the Spectrum choice app and it's blocky, freezes and looks horrible, who is the Spectrum service so bad?

Will it improve our an I wasting my money, please help!
12 REPLIES
Proven Sharer

Re: Spectrum choice streaming quality

@Imex99 wrote:
Have rokus and Roku TV's. Netflix, Amazon , YouTube tv and Plex steam perfectly in every room.

Use the Spectrum choice app and it's blocky, freezes and looks horrible, who is the Spectrum service so bad?

How are these devices connected to your LAN?  Ethernet?  WiFi?

How many wireless devices are being used on your LAN?

What is your internet speed?  What does a speed test show you get?

Post your modem signal levels so we can advise if troubleshooting noise in your drop is causing slow speeds, which will cause the issues you describe.

I have ELP internet (3d/1u), and I have no issues using the Spectrum app on my secondary TV sets.

Rookie

Ok, will do those check when I get home...

Why would Amazon, Netflix and Plex work great but Spectrum streaming quality be horrible....?

Proven Sharer

I cannot say why the other OTT/streaming services work well, but the Spectrum App does not, and I honestly missed that in your original post.

We are peers, and can't help with the app itself, only the infrastructure that allows you to connect to the app.

If you eliminate all the other possibilities (bad wires, noise, Cell phone interference, etc.) then whatever is left must be the problem...  I assume that anyone you call is going to ask you to check what I've suggested first, before escalating the issue.

Sharer

Is it live streams, or on demand content through those alternate sources?

It can and usually does make a difference. Live streams have to be encoded on the fly in real time... compromises may be made for bandwidth concerns. Previously encoded on-demand content can be highly compressed so it requires less bandwidth needs by comparison... possibly even higher quality as well.

So, basically, streaming an episode live may gobble up north of 10mbps periodically and have a 5 or 6 mbps average or higher, while watching that same episode on demand later in the week may take half the bandwidth (or less) to view at the same resolution.
Rookie

@Imex99 wrote:

I have this issue with 1 of 3 TV's.

I have a 43" Sharp Roku TV that streams the Spectrum app fine. (although I normally use the cable box on this TV.)

My son streams it on his Xbox One, and it looks fantastic.

But in my bedroom, I have a 32" TCL Roku TV and the stream looks like what the OP is describing,  It is on Roku 8.1.  I was told by Ask Spectrum after a few weeks of trying things that is it my TV.  But like the O.P., Netflix and other things stream fine on this TV.  For what it's worth, it is a 2016 model TCL TV.

My average D/L speed is around 110 Mbps.

Newcomer

I have recently encountered the same problem on my app on Roku tv. Amazon, Netflix and YouTube all look fine. The spectrum app looks soft. Recent software update with the app?
The app would "lock" into higher resolution after a few seconds on a new channel. Now it never gets better

Same problem here with a 55" TCL from 2017. I mostly watch news on it and it used to be full HD after 10-20 seconds. It's quite noticeable as the news ticker at the bottom is a bit blurry now. It just stays "soft" or medium quality. One of my APs is 10' away from the TV and it reports full signal. Also I can test to over 100mbps via wifi in that same room.

I wanted to add that I had a Roku streaming stick laying around, and it works fine on the same TV. I'm almost positive it's Roku OS/TCL related. My TV is on 8.1.0 build 4140-08

I have a new 40" TCL on 8.1.2  6' away from the "problem" TV and I get Spectrum in full HD on that set too.

Lead Moderator

One thing we need to be clear on, signal "strength" to your wireless network does not 

indicate a problem free connection to the Internet, just an indicator of the wireless broadcast signal  being received. 

I was able to locate the account by your registration information. I am seeing WiFi Interference galore. First thing I would suggest is logging in and locking those channels. It is bouncing from 1 to 6 to 11 over and over. 

You can find information on how to manage and troubleshoot the wireless here: Wireless-Networking

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums