Newcomer

Spectrum app repeatedly freezes

The Spectrum app repeatedly freezes on Roku, this is the only app that does this on both of our Roku sticks. It was easier to watch TV on Sling without cable, I have seen several others posting on the same topic, why doesn't spectrum fix this? 

7 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Spectrum app repeatedly freezes

Copy and paste your modems signal level and error log pages, Don't reset it, we need to see the actual history.

What speed are you paying for and how far and thru how many walls are the sticks from the twc router (I assume this is an all in one modem/router/wireless combo leased from TWC Robot Sad

Then copy and paste a CMD level tracert to TWCTV.com

Boz
Sharer

cwpotter wrote:

The Spectrum app repeatedly freezes on Roku, this is the only app that does this on both of our Roku sticks. It was easier to watch TV on Sling without cable, I have seen several others posting on the same topic, why doesn't spectrum fix this? 

1. What exact model #(s) are your Rokus?

2. Do either have an ethernet port (probably not, if using a Stick)?

3. If yes, does the problem go away when you hook it up with an ethernet cable directly to your modem?

4. What internet speed are you paying for?

5. What internet speed on your computer, both via WiFi and hooked directly to your modem, are you getting according to timewarnercable.com/en/support/speed-test.html ?

The TWCTV/SprectrumTV app definitely needs a stronger and more stable internet connection than any other Roku app that I've experienced.  THAT should be fixed somehow by TWC/Spectrum and/or Roku.

But it IS possible to get mostly good performance from the TWCTV/SprectrumTV Roku app.  I have (4) Rolu 2 XS 3100R and (1) Roku Streaming Stick (2016) 3600R, and they all work well over WiFi using TWC 30/5 internet and an Ubee MTA Model DVW32CB.  However, every home/setup could be different, depending on the quality of the internet connection, and depending on router location and/or WiFi signal interference.

Nope, there are no fixes. My new smart TV does the exact same thing. My TV has NEVER frozen before period. Good job Spectrum!!

I have the Roku 3 model 4200. Spectrum is the only app that managed to screw it up.
Good job Spectrum!
Boz
Sharer

Addcancercat wrote:
Nope, there are no fixes. My new smart TV does the exact same thing. My TV has NEVER frozen before period. Good job Spectrum!!

Addcancercat wrote:
I have the Roku 3 model 4200. Spectrum is the only app that managed to screw it up.
Good job Spectrum!

Except that's not universally true.  As indicated above, it CAN work.

TWC/Spectrum just needs either 1) Fix TWCTV so that it will work as well as Netflix with the same quality of internet/WiFi, or 2) work to optimize your internet service and/or WiFi environment to give the best possible TWCTV experience.

Newcomer

Why aren't you people useing your HDMI  and using your tv remote not TW  and  go to the hdmi port for roku?

Valued Contributor

I have my Roku 2 player connected to my TV via HDMI, and am using an RCA RCR-313BR universal remote. My Roku TV app randomly freezes, showing the "Loading (channel name) ..." window until the stream is running again. When the program starts again, it will be at the point where the app froze.

This sort of thing is inexcusable. I don't know if this problem is anything Time Warner, Spectrum, or whatever this cable company is these days can do anything about. Please do not ask me to copy and paste logs or anything else (as I am sure MsRaye would ask me to do), because I have no idea what any of that means and, frankly, I do not care anymore, if I ever did in the first place. I do care about my picture quality on this service, and am paying good money to have excellent reception; I will not tolerate these constant incidents of video streams freezing and even disappearing. I never had these problems when I was watching TV with rabbit ears, before cable; however, I live in an area that gets very poor reception of most stations, so I must have the Roku (with a cable account so I receive my area's local TV stations) to get the stations in clearly enough to watch.

I do wish the FCC had not fiddled around with America's television standards in 2009, eliminating NTSC. At least with that standard, if you had any kind of signal at all you could still watch the station; with DTV, it is all or nothing, which is why most folks these days have cable. The only things I like about DTV are the wider variety of programming (via subchannels of local stations) and the much improved picture quality; the others, such as the constant efforts to reinvent the wheel, so to speak, as far as DTV goes, are things I do not care about in the least.  Please do not get me started on ATSC 3.0, the newest digital broadcast standard the FCC will probably approve before long. I hate to think of having to buy another TV if or when (!) the standards change again.