Rookie

Spectrum APP sucks!

We have been forced to use the spectrum app due to the decommissioning of the aanolog signal and man does this app suck!!!

This app is down at least 2-3 times a week.

This app is not a valid alternative and spectrum should of fixed all the bugs before offering it as an alternative.
28 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Spectrum APP sucks!

The other alternative is renting a box...

The quality of the apps performance is predicated on the quality of your internet signal (both from Spectrum to your home), and on your home network (LAN & Wifi).

Have you checked modem signal levels to determine if their is a wiring (Spectrum) issue?

Helper

I agree that the app is not ready for primetime to be used as the primary tv watching source for the vast majority of customers. It's main function was originally meant to be supplemental use in a guest bedroom or on an iPad. For the app to completely replace the traditional set top box a lot of refinement is needed.

Trusted Helper

To add to this,

The cost of your computer and RAM matters too on Spectrum TV.  My little $300 crappy Windows 8.1  laptop always stutters the video on full screen.  My Windows 8.1 machine has only 4GB of RAM. 

On my Windows 10 machine.  8GB of RAM and Spectrum TV runs great.  You need at least 8GB's of RAM and a quality graphics card for Spectrum TV to run well, even with high Speed Internet service.

Budget computers with low RAM can't handle Spectrum TV or the application.

Satch

Lead Moderator

Hi @Satch  I have also seen that available memory on a device affects the app/website.

On a smart phone/tablet  if there is not some (I dont know the exact amount) open storage available the app will not work well and will often shut down after launch or after a few minutes of use. Much like a computer, when there are also things running in the background, it can cause problems.

My son still uses a iPhone 5s,  he tried to use the App and found it did not work well until he cleared up some memory. After he deleted the unused apps things now work smoothly. 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Spectrum Employee

Hello Tred420,

To echo some of the other sentiments already expressed by Reds and Satch, the Spectrum TV application is not something that customers pay for, and is simply an extension of your existing service. Reliability of the app depends on many other factors aside from just the service working properly, and a majority of the time its one of those factors that are causing issues with the application, not the app itself.

This is one of the reasons why it is not billed or sold as a "valid alternative" and is a free auxilliary feature of the services provided by the company bundled with your subscription to television services.

Primary in-home cable boxes are much more reliable and provide much more stable connections for in home viewing, and don't suffer from the major drawbacks that are present when using 3rd party hardware like phones and tablets.

While we do appreciate you reaching out, this is not something we can readily "make better" here on the forum but if you would like, we could help to identify any potential issues experienced and try to direct you into getting any repairs done that may be necessary given your experiences. Is there anything specific you could tell us regarding your situation that could help us identify any issues such as internet issues or the like?

Otherwise, have a good day!

I post on my off hours, away from work and any statements made are my opinions, and do not necessarily reflect the views and beliefs of Spectrum Communications.

Rookie

Do you Honestly think your response is helpful at all? Think about it. Your dismissing my feelings by telling me your crappy app is my problem because “i don’t pay for it”.
Hears the deal we do pay for it. When you took away my ability to receive the cable service I pay for by Discontinuing the analog signal. you gave me two option, the APP or rent a box from you. From my point of view this is a service that I pay for and it is subpar.
Spectrum Employee

Hello again Tred420,

I do apologize that my reply did not satisfy your complaint at this time. Try to understand though, this is a peer-to-peer technical support forum. I am not dismissing your feelings, we here are simply trying to help you understand while as frustrating as it is, the app is as you said, not an alternative. It is a support feature included with your subscription as a free alternative to having a cable box and a mobile viewing portal when not at home for certain channels. 

Thank you dstoffa, reds91185, Satch and our wonderful mod Julia_R who have already helped to echo this information prior to myself with several suggestions so far.

If there is something wrong, we'd be more than happy to assist, but we need things like:

Spoiler
What Error Message are you recieving on the app when it "goes down" as you say?
Spoiler
How often are you seeing it "go down" and what times of the day?
Spoiler
Have you had any other issues with your other services, HSD or Phone aside from your Spectrum TV app?
Spoiler
What devices are you using to view the App on? Is it a computer through Watch.spectrum.com or are you using older Phones/IPad/Roku devices that may no longer be compliant with the latest software/hardware requirements?

Until then, we can only guess as to what your issue is, and while your complaint is truly valid, we can do nothing to change that without your assistance. Analog television is a bulky dinosaur that is no longer acceptable in the realm of High Speed Internet requirements that are being requested, and needed to be replaced. This has been a truth for many years, and by its elimination there are many things that will change in the consumer landscape.

However, I ask again, is there anything we can help you resolve? If so, could you please start by providing your modem and internet diagnostics from your modem's 192.168.100.1 page to show us what kind of signal levels and modem log history you are seeing so we may be able to more accurately assist you from a technical stance?

Otherwise I'm sorry you are having issues, and I look forward to helping you identify what that issue may be.

I post on my off hours, away from work and any statements made are my opinions, and do not necessarily reflect the views and beliefs of Spectrum Communications.

Trusted Helper

@Cxthuluwrote:

Hello again Tred420,

I do apologize that my reply did not satisfy your complaint at this time. Try to understand though, this is a peer-to-peer technical support forum. I am not dismissing your feelings, we here are simply trying to help you understand while as frustrating as it is, the app is as you said, not an alternative. It is a support feature included with your subscription as a free alternative to having a cable box and a mobile viewing portal when not at home for certain channels. 

Thank you dstoffa, reds91185, Satch and our wonderful mod Julia_R who have already helped to echo this information prior to myself with several suggestions so far.

If there is something wrong, we'd be more than happy to assist, but we need things like:

Spoiler
What Error Message are you recieving on the app when it "goes down" as you say?
Spoiler
How often are you seeing it "go down" and what times of the day?
Spoiler
Have you had any other issues with your other services, HSD or Phone aside from your Spectrum TV app?
Spoiler
What devices are you using to view the App on? Is it a computer through Watch.spectrum.com or are you using older Phones/IPad/Roku devices that may no longer be compliant with the latest software/hardware requirements?

Until then, we can only guess as to what your issue is, and while your complaint is truly valid, we can do nothing to change that without your assistance. Analog television is a bulky dinosaur that is no longer acceptable in the realm of High Speed Internet requirements that are being requested, and needed to be replaced. This has been a truth for many years, and by its elimination there are many things that will change in the consumer landscape.

However, I ask again, is there anything we can help you resolve? If so, could you please start by providing your modem and internet diagnostics from your modem's 192.168.100.1 page to show us what kind of signal levels and modem log history you are seeing so we may be able to more accurately assist you from a technical stance?

.ook forward to helping you identify what that issue may be.

Thanks Cxthulu,

The applications are bonuses included with your services.  It is similar to Caller ID on TV included with Digital Phone and Digital Cable.  Caller ID on TV is a bonus.  Every once in a blue moon people have issues with Caller ID on TV's TV box prompt not coming on when a call comes through.  This can last sometimes for hours to days, even weeks, and than it starts working again.  Caller ID on TV can take up to 24 hours to show up on new or swapped boxes because it is a server-based bonus feature.  Therefore it provides a "do what we can to keep it going." status.

However, Caller ID on TV is not considered by any provider to be like a customer being without cable, phone, or Internet.  Loss of service, signal problems, and bad boxes that make it hard for you to use services that you play for are Spectrum's top priority.  While Caller ID is nice cool feature, the loss of it is a lower priority to the company than say, your phone services, TV services, or Internet not working.

At the same time, feel free to report such issues as Caller ID on TV not working if it is out for 24 hours or more.  However, note that because it is a bonus service with Cable TV and Digital Phone combined, it's fixing has a lower priority than being out of paid services.

Satch

Why did the ability to double tap the screen to & from full screen go away