Valued Participant

Re: Spectrum APP sucks!

@Tred420wrote:
We have been forced to use the spectrum app due to the decommissioning of the aanolog signal and man does this app suck!!!

This app is down at least 2-3 times a week.

This app is not a valid alternative and spectrum should of fixed all the bugs before offering it as an alternative.

I respectfully disagree with your statement that the Spectrum TV app is not a "valid" alternative to cable as the app, with Spectrum Choice, works well for me. I've had it for several weeks (shortly after Spectrum Choice TV was introduced),  haven't had one bit of trouble with it, and don't expect to. If you are having as much trouble with the app as you say, I would suggest leasing a cable box from Spectrum; this should remedy your problem. Short of that, I would consider upgrading to one of Spectrum's faster Internet services, although at this time I am using the Spectrum TV app with Spectrum ELP (everyday low price) Internet, which seems to work very well.

Kind regards,
Jeff
 Fairport Harbor, Ohio 44077

Newcomer

I'm forced to use the Spectrum app because Spectrum does not provide WIFI/wireless cable connection and the TV in the bedroom does not have a coaxial connection in the wall and the tech was unable to install one. So only way for us to have access to cable was to go with the app and Roku. I'm ready to jump ship and go with AT&T who do support wireless cable (UVerse). I just hate the idea of getting stuck with a contract. I guess another alternative is either go with internet streamlining only and subscribe to Hulu or other alternatives. There is also the concept of picking up a book and read instead of watching TV.

Proven Sharer

@arimaldowrote:

There is also the concept of picking up a book and read instead of watching TV.

A book? What is that ?? Man Very Happy

Valued Participant

@arimaldo wrote:

I'm forced to use the Spectrum app because Spectrum does not provide WIFI/wireless cable connection and the TV in the bedroom does not have a coaxial connection in the wall and the tech was unable to install one. So only way for us to have access to cable was to go with the app and Roku. I'm ready to jump ship and go with AT&T who do support wireless cable (UVerse). I just hate the idea of getting stuck with a contract. I guess another alternative is either go with internet streamlining only and subscribe to Hulu or other alternatives.

Hulu and YouTube TV are two excellent alternatives to cable, if you don't mind being without the DTV subchannels of your local TV stations or PBS; for some reason, neither streaming service carries these subchannels and has never carried PBS affiliates, requiring streaming video users to resort to the PBS streaming app available anywhere there is a PBS television station and likely in areas that, for whatever reason, do not have access to PBS, either because the city or town doesn't have its own PBS affiliate or because the nearest PBS station is too far away to be received over an antenna. However, many people like yourself are abandoning cable in favor of streaming video for economic and  other reasons. One good thing about Hulu and YTTV is that there are no contracts or subscription fees required to use either service; all that is required is a high-speed Internet connection (don't try this if you are still using DSL or dialup (!), as these types of connections are far too slow to handle video streams).

I am convinced that streaming video is the wave of the future in television.  It goes without saying that the cable companies don't like it;  in fact, some cable operators, such as Comcast, are using certain ploys such as offering higher Internet speeds to discourage cord cutting. The subscriber gets higher upload and download speeds, all right, but the person is also tricked into signing up for cable at the same time without knowing it until it is too late (!), even if he or she doesn't  or did not want the latter in the first place. 

Be that as it may, however, as I said, streaming video is the wave of the future in American television, as cable rates continue to rise; even basic cable (broadcast channels only) is out of reach of some people today, and some folks are even going so far as to abandon cable altogether in favor of using an antenna to get their TV reception. 

Many cable subscribers are cutting the cord in favor of services the likes of YTTV and Hulu, like it or not. Even Spectrum's own TV Choice service works with Roku and streaming video, so it isn't traditional cable, even though the service will work with or without a cable box. (I have had Spectrum Choice since shortly after the service was started, a little over a month ago, and like it.) However, I don't see why anyone would want traditional cable when the person already has Choice TV. After all, the latter does allow the subscriber to pick up to ten cable channels in addition to his or her area's local TV channels. The only reason I can see for anyone wanting traditional cable alongside Choice TV is so the person can receive every available cable channel, but this means, of course, paying for two services.

Spectrum does not require anyone to sign a contract when the person subscribes to its cable service. The company makes a particular point of this in their mail advertisements and TV commercials, and even goes so far as to say they will buy out any existing contract a new subscriber may have with another provider if the latter has the customer locked into said contract.  IMHO, cable TV service just doesn't get any better than that.

I don't know why you are saying Spectrum does not provide WiFi connections. I have had one on my Internet service for several years, as long as I have had equipment that needs it (my smartphone and tablet). I am sure that Spectrum WiFi service is optional (I believe the charge is $5.00 monthly); if you don't want or need it, you do not have to have it.

Finally, I am wondering why the technician could not install a cable outlet in your home, as you mentioned. It should be possible, unless there are issues with such things as signal strength on the main cable from the pole to your house (not enough signal to serve two connected devices).

Highlighted
Proven Sharer

Techs may not be able to hard wire additional rooms in condos or apartments without consent from the building owners.

Hulu and Youtube TV (as well as the other streaming services) do offer local channels in select markets. It all depends if they have secured carriage contracts with the owners of the local stations.

Newcomer

I also have a lot of problems with roku app especially the app player which constantly does not work or just slow in loading channels. However they have fixed the quality of the picture problem. Old player. Android version has new player and works excellent. Never had problem with Android app!
Newcomer

I’m having a terrible time with the Roku app. I’ve rebooted my modem and router; reset the Roku; deleted then reinstalled the app. I continue getting error messages and horrible picture quality during peak hours even when I’m the only one home. Any suggestions? The app on my phone or Kindle works without any issues.
Rookie

I agree. I had it for 3 weeks and it was down for 2 and 1/2 weeks. I cancelled I'm going to go for YouTube TV. A co-worker has it and said it's much better. When I called Spectrum, customer service rep Carter told me we can only give you what the network gives us in the way of streams for your programs. I asked him why I could see it one day and not see at the next he said that's just the way it works. This app sucks!