Newcomer

Set Top Box Necessary When I Have A Roku?

A few months ago I still had TWC cable, and also a Roku (with Sling TV). I was able to log into my TWC app on Roku and access all of the TWC channels that were in my cable package.

I've now bought and moved into a condo, and am paying for basic cable with TWC as part of my required monthly maintenance fees. But TWC says that I cannot connect a coax directly to my tv sets...that I have to pay monthly rent on 3 boxes, one for each of my tv sets. But that was the entire reason that I moved to Roku and Sling TV.

But...I'm paying a required monthly fee that includes basic cable service from TWC. So why can I not log into the app on my Roku, as absolutely any other TWC cable subscriber would be able to do, to access the channels that I am paying for?

7 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Set Top Box Necessary When I Have A Roku?

You can, you only need one cablecard equiped device, either a cable box, dvr or a Tivo with cablecard or just a non used cablecard sitting in a drawer

Established Sharer

MsRaye wrote:

You can, you only need one cablecard equiped device, either a cable box, dvr or a Tivo with cablecard or just a non used cablecard sitting in a drawer

===========

Aren't ALL those, Roku, Sling,  and any other, using the internet and NOT cabble TV??

Sharer

Josh0001 wrote:

A few months ago I still had TWC cable, and also a Roku (with Sling TV). I was able to log into my TWC app on Roku and access all of the TWC channels that were in my cable package.

I've now bought and moved into a condo, and am paying for basic cable with TWC as part of my required monthly maintenance fees. But TWC says that I cannot connect a coax directly to my tv sets...that I have to pay monthly rent on 3 boxes, one for each of my tv sets. But that was the entire reason that I moved to Roku and Sling TV.

But...I'm paying a required monthly fee that includes basic cable service from TWC. So why can I not log into the app on my Roku, as absolutely any other TWC cable subscriber would be able to do, to access the channels that I am paying for?

To use the Roku to watch TWC video, you will need to pay TWC for internet, along with video programming.  It's the modem that you own (or lease) that is tied to the services you pay for which will allow you to watch programming on the app while attached to that authorized modem.

Who do you pay for intenet?

Expert

DaKat wrote:

MsRaye wrote:

===========

Aren't ALL those, Roku, Sling,  and any other, using the internet and NOT cabble TV??

yup.. twc requires you to rent some sort of cablecard equiped device or a cablecard even if unused. They never implemented the boxless service promised 4 years ago.

Established Sharer

The Cablecard is also much cheaper than a box.

Spectrum Employee

You absolutely can use the Roku and other streaming devices in lieu of cable of equipment - so long as you have one piece of video equipment. In order to give you access to the streaming site, you must have a subscription for TV services. From there the largest restriction would simply be the fact that there is a limit to the number logged in devices for the streaming service, whereas you can have more cable devices in the home without having to boot people off of TVs in other rooms.

Lead Moderator

There are several questions we need answered to answer your question.

:I've now bought and moved into a condo, and am paying for basic cable with TWC as part of my required monthly maintenance fees:

Do you have your own account with us or is this account/equipment service paid for through your HOA?    If the service is not yours, if you do not have a separate account, with its own TWCID/Login you this service will not qualify for the use of the Spectrum TV app. 

If you are paying for this through your own account with us, and you have a TWCID associated with this service and you have at least one piece of cable equipment in your home, you can use the Spectrum TV app.

Provided you are eligible for the Spectrum TV product. 

To use our Spectrum TV on your Roku, through an Xbox One or Samsung Smart TV, you would need to have our Internet service in your home as well. If you do not have our Internet service you can use the Spectrum TV app on a mobile device, desk top computer, smart phone and laptop. 

I hope this helps. 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums