Valued Contributor

Roku main menu font too small

I have a Roku 2 streaming media player. It works well, but the font for the main menu is too small. I am 60 years old and my eyesight is very bad (I must wear very strong eyeglasses), so reading anything on the Roku player's main menu is very difficult.  (I have a 19-inch television, which is about ten feet from my easy chair in my living room.)

I just spoke over the phone with a TWC representative who, I am very sorry to say, was no help at all. On top of all of this, I was in an accident recently (was in several others in the last few years as well) and now cannot read the buttons on my TV remote (I use an RCA model RCR-313BR universal remote with all my video devices--TV, VCR, Blu-ray and Roku), so I don't know which buttons do what anymore. Is there any way I can increase the size of the Roku's menu font so I do not have to guess what TV station I am watching, or am I more or less stuck with this tiny font the Rokus all use on their main menus?

I watch a lot of TV (mostly news and 1950s-'70s off-network reruns) because I cannot read well (due to my vision problem), and find this problem with the Roku's tiny font very frustrating and annoying.   To make matters even worse, the representative I spoke with tonight told me she could have a replacement remote, with large buttons, sent to me at my home, but the remote would only operate my TV, not my other video devices. Are there any remotes available (besides the RCA universal I mentioned), with large buttons, that will operate all late-model video devices, including recent Roku players?

I am very disappointed in Roku. The box works well enough for me (except for the remote's shortcomings, which I just mentioned), but there is almost no support for users with disabilities, which I think is downright wrong. (The only concession to customer disabilities I can see on my own Roku is closed captioning, for people with hearing problems or who are deaf.)

Is there not a law requiring Roku players to be fully accessible to people with disabilities, including access to remotes with buttons large enough that even people with poor vision can see them? If not, there should be. There are people with far, far worse disabilities than mine who use Roku players every day, and who likely must put up with the same problems I do.

3 REPLIES
Boz
Sharer

Re: Roku main menu font too small

This is the Time Warner Cable forum, not the Roku forum.

I suggest that you try posting in the Roku forum at https://forums.roku.com .

I wish you the best in getting your issue addressed!

Valued Contributor

The Roku forum does not work. I just tried to post my question there and got an error message. I went to a lot of trouble last night to post my problem to this forum and I cannot type very fast, so having someone tell me I am on the wrong forum or whatever really frustrates me. Please answer my question or I will no longer post to these forums--EVER.

Boz
Sharer

jhs19060 wrote:

The Roku forum does not work. I just tried to post my question there and got an error message. I went to a lot of trouble last night to post my problem to this forum and I cannot type very fast, so having someone tell me I am on the wrong forum or whatever really frustrates me. Please answer my question or I will no longer post to these forums--EVER.

This is primarily peer to peer support for TWC/Spectrum, so it is your choice whether or not you want to participate here.

The Roku forum does work.  I have posted on it within the last 2 weeks.

If the issue you're having is with Roku, which according to your first post, it is, it doesn't matter how much you want to get help here on the TWC forum, the Roku forum is where you'd have the best chance of getting help or advice with the Roku menu system.