Valued Participant

Incorrect local channels on Spectrum Roku TV app

I am having an issue with incorrect local TV channels on my Spectrum Roku TV app. The app is getting stations from Cincinnati, Ohio, and I live near Cleveland. I have had this issue for about a week. No one at Spectrum has been able to give me an estimate, let alone a definite date, as to when this issue will be resolved. I spoke over the telephone this afternoon with a Spectrum representative, who told me the Spectrum Roku app is not compatible with Roku 1 or 2. I have the Roku 2 device and have been using the app with it for over a year; never an issue with it until now. Why would this app suddenly become incompatible with any Roku device below Roku 3?

Thank you.

Jeff 

Fairport Harbor, Ohio 44077

5 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Incorrect local channels on Spectrum Roku TV app

jhs190 wrote:

I am having an issue with incorrect local TV channels on my Spectrum Roku TV app. The app is getting stations from Cincinnati, Ohio, and I live near Cleveland. I have had this issue for about a week. No one at Spectrum has been able to give me an estimate, let alone a definite date, as to when this issue will be resolved. I spoke over the telephone this afternoon with a Spectrum representative, who told me the Spectrum Roku app is not compatible with Roku 1 or 2. I have the Roku 2 device and have been using the app with it for over a year; never an issue with it until now. Why would this app suddenly become incompatible with any Roku device below Roku 3?

I personally use Roku 2XS to access the Spectrum app, and have had no issues, although I get a warning message while the app is booting reminding me that better expericiences lay ahead if I upgrade to a newer model Roku...

That being written, I'd love to have your problem...  Getting one market's locals via the linear cable or antenna, and a different market's locals via the app.  Could mean I get differnet NFL games on Sundays...  (I live closer to Scranton, PA, and could use an antenna if I was on a hilltop, but I get NYC locals..  Would love to get Eagles and Steelers games from Scranton...  I already get Bills games out of Binghamton and Jets / Giants out of Fun City.)

Valued Participant

I am pleased to report that my issue with incorrect local TV channels (Cincinnati stations instead of Cleveland stations) on my Spectrum Roku app has been resolved. I switched to Spectrum cable TV service yesterday from  Spectrum TV Choice, which seems to have corrected the problem. I guess Spectrum TV Choice has a bug that causes the app to receive incorrect local TV channels, as I have read posts here from several other people besides myself who have had the same issue; for example, one person reported getting New York City local channels with the app when he should have been receiving Scranton, Pennsylvania's locals. In my case, the issue was apparently caused by the same account number having been issued twice, to two different subscribers over two hundred miles apart.

Thanks for reading.

Jeff 

Valued Participant

I spoke too soon in my last post, as my issue has not yet been resolved. I live 30 miles east of Cleveland; however, my Roku Spectrum TV app again started receiving Cincinnati TV stations last night. I called Spectrum (for the umpteenth time in the last two weeks) to report the problem, and was told it was being looked into. I wish I could believe them, but the way things have been going, although the Roku Spectrum TV app is working as it should (receiving Cleveland local TV stations) for now, I cannot count on the app continuing to work this well for more than one day. The app will probably start receiving Cincinnati TV again this evening, I will call Spectrum to report the problem (again . . .)--this has become a vicious cycle, and I am tired of it. I have YouTube TV, which I can use to get my area's local channels, to say nothing of many of my favorite cable channels (and the cloud DVR service, to  boot), but I would much rather have the locals on my Roku. I am paying close to $100 a month to Spectrum for three services, one of which is TV (I recently switched back to Spectrum cable from Spectrum TV Choice); I expect to get the correct local TV channels without having to call Spectrum almost every day to report the same issue, over and over again. If my TV reception were not so bad (in my area, due to technical problems since the DTV switch in 2009, I cannot receive two major network affiliates with an antenna), I would drop Spectrum cable altogether and go back to using an antenna, as I did for years before cable was even available anywhere in northeastern Ohio.

Why is it taking so long to resolve this problem so that it stays resolved, and does not come back? I do not enjoy in the least having to call Spectrum every day about this issue.

Regards,

Jeff 

Valued Participant

Update (Friday, March 9, 2018, 12:55 PM) -- My Roku Spectrum TV app showed Cincinnati local TV stations (instead of Cleveland locals) for about five minutes this morning, then returned to Cleveland locals shortly thereafter. The app has been receiving the correct local channels since. I don't want to say, however, that the issue is resolved until or unless the app continues to work as it should, with no further sudden changes to Cincinnati locals overnight (or any other time). This is a very annoying issue that should be corrected as soon as possible; again, even though the app seems to be working normally for now, I don't know if I've seen the last of the problem yet (!). Only time will tell.

Regards,

Jeff 

Valued Participant

Update (Monday, March 12, 2018  11:51 AM EDST) -- My Spectrum Roku TV app is receiving the correct local TV stations for my area near Cleveland, Ohio  as of this morning. I was hoping it would, as in the past it has worked OK in the evenings but when I turned on my TV the next morning, the app would be showing Cincinnati's local channels, which I have no use for in my area some 200 miles from Cincy. Here's hoping the problem has been resolved once and for all.

BTW, what actually causes this issue? I recently  talked over the phone with a Spectrum representative regarding this problem, and was told that it could be caused by the same account number being assigned to two different accounts. This is a new one on me. Why would Spectrum assign the same account number to two accounts in widely separated areas? I would think the easiest way to keep this issue from ever surfacing again would be to change one or the other offending account numbers. However, I wonder why this issue would even occur in the first place, as I was always under the impression that the account numbers were issued sequentially, with almost no chance for repetition. As this has happened before (I have had the problem twice, once resulting in my Spectrum TV app receiving stations from Rochester, New York and second, when the app started getting Cincinnati's locals), I think this may be a recurring problem for which there may not be a permanent solution. I have been told by at least one Spectrum representative that this is a known issue with the Spectrum Roku TV app, which may take a while to be resolved since the streaming service was just started fairly recently. If I should have the same problem in the future, I will simply use YouTube TV until things are back to normal with the Spectrum app.

Regards,

Jeff