Proven Sharer

Re: This is why the FL State Attorney General opened an investigation on this merger

jdezego wrote:

I have Spectrum (Brighthouse) cable tv and internet service in Tampa, FL.

I have Spectrum (Time Warner) internet service in NYC.

I should be able to run the Spectrum TV streaming app on a Roku in NYC and log in with my Tampa credentials. Why? Because Spectrum is now ONE COMPANY regardless of where I live. But this doesn't work. Instead, when I launch the app in NYC it doesn't even ask me to log in. It sees my NYC IP address, sees that I don't have tv service in NYC, and it goes directly to a screen that tries to sell me the streaming package for $21.99 per month.... EVEN THOUGH I PAY FOR SPECTRUM TV SERVICE IN TAMPA.

This is a scummy attempt at robbing customers. Everyone needs to report this to the Attorny General's office using this simple form:

http://myfloridalegal.com/contact.nsf/contact?Open&Section=Citizen_Services

This is not an attempt at robbing customers.  It's all about legal obligations.  Read the fine print in your service agreement on what you are really obligated to receive, not what television ads lead you to believe you receive.

Spectrum has agreements with content owners as to how their programming can be delivered to customers.  The linear video feed has restrictions which differ from the streaming feed restrictions.  Spectrum doesn't have clearance to allow a full lineup of video programming outside the residence via their streaming apps.

I have Spectrum in New York.  I was sent to Wisconsin for work, where the home I rented also had Spectrum.  I brought my Roku with me, and when I tried to access the Spectrum Streaming channel, I was advised once I logged in with my credentials that I needed to be attached to the modem which was tied to my video account.  So I couldn't watch NY TV in Wisconsin.... as it should be.  I could use individual network apps to watch programming on the Roku, and I did get SOME more channels via PC, but never the full lineup.

The linear video cable TV subscription model is based on "per household" .  The content owner collects a fixed amount from the cable company "per household", and if you could effectively watch at home and have others watch elsewhere by simply sharing a username and password, everyone would pair or triple up to game the system.

If you really want to place-shift your Flordia TV so you can watch it in New York, then invest in a SlingBox.

If you want to truly watch TV anywhere, cancel your Spectrum video service, keep the internet, and subscribe to an "Over-the-top" video streaming service, (SlingTV, YouTubeTV, PSVuw, DirecTV Now) which has the legal agreements in place to allow what you are seeking.

Proven Sharer

Re: This is why the FL State Attorney General opened an investigation on this merger

jdezego wrote:

reds91185 wrote:

If you have two houses and have water, electric, gas, phone to one would you expect the other house to also be connected without it's own service? 

It's all based on service address. 

If it was 1985 that might be a good analogy. Those are physical things. I am of course talking about a service that is deleivered over the internet. Do you have Netflix? Notice how you can log in from different addresses? Same concept. And yes, this is how other providers do it. So I guess we can "expect the other house to also be connected without it's own service? "

It's a consequence of the linear PayTV business model.  The linear business is a physical thing, based on a cable and a house.  As posted elsewhere in this thread, I expect things to change in the next decade, because "cord-cutters" and "cord-nevers" will eventually hurt the bottom line of the content owners (Disney is taking a beating with lost ESPN subs), and they'll need to figure out a new way to get younger people to pay for their products...  This is why Sling, PSVue, YouTubeTV, and the rest have emerged...  to cater to the young desireable customers.

Boz
Sharer

jdezego wrote:

ps... While on my NYC Spectrum internet service I *CAN* login to the app on my laptop or phone and watch 100% of my Tampa channels.

In that case, the issue is with your Roku and/or the Spectrum TV app on your Roku.

It is also new information that you did NOT include in your original post.

What happens when you uninstall the Spectrum TV app on your Roku, restart your Roku, and re-install the Spectrum TV app on your Roku?

Proven Sharer

Boz wrote:

jdezego wrote:

ps... While on my NYC Spectrum internet service I *CAN* login to the app on my laptop or phone and watch 100% of my Tampa channels.

In that case, the issue is with your Roku and/or the Spectrum TV app on your Roku.

It is also new information that you did NOT include in your original post.

What happens when you uninstall the Spectrum TV app on your Roku, restart your Roku, and re-install the Spectrum TV app on your Roku?

I am convinced that the app on the Roku and/or SmartTV goes through different steps for authentication / validation than the PC / Browser / Smart Phone versions....

A person is more likely considred on-the-go if they are watching on their phone / laptop while outside the home than if they are watching on a Roku / SmartTV while away from the home service address.   A Roku is more of a permanent setup than a smartphone, iPad, or laptop...

Rookie

I certainly do not see why the Roku channel is restricted to in home use.  I have the android app on my phone and it works everywhere with a lot of available channels.  Seems like the Roku channel should have the same capability.  Place shifting is coming fast.  Legacy cable better wake up and get on board or they may be the next Toys R Us or Sears.