Spectator

I should be able to run the Spectrum TV streaming app on a Roku in NYC and log in with my Tampa...

I have Spectrum (Brighthouse) cable tv and internet service in Tampa, FL.

I have Spectrum (Time Warner) internet service in NYC.

I should be able to run the Spectrum TV streaming app on a Roku in NYC and log in with my Tampa credentials. Why? Because Spectrum is now ONE COMPANY regardless of where I live. But this doesn't work. Instead, when I launch the app in NYC it doesn't even ask me to log in. It sees my NYC IP address, sees that I don't have tv service in NYC, and it goes directly to a screen that tries to sell me the streaming package for $21.99 per month.... EVEN THOUGH I PAY FOR SPECTRUM TV SERVICE IN TAMPA.

14 REPLIES
Proven Sharer

Re: This is why the FL State Attorney General opened an investigation on this merger

You are attempting to get television service in a location that you do not a have television subscription. All services are tied to the service address on the account. 

Boz
Sharer

Re: This is why the FL State Attorney General opened an investigation on this merger

reds91185 wrote:

You are attempting to get television service in a location that you do not a have television subscription. All services are tied to the service address on the account. 

But with the advertised "TV Anywhere", the Spectrum TV App or spectrumtv.com is supposed to allow viewing over any internet connection of at least some of the subscribed channels, which in this case should be from the poster's FL subscribed TV service, right?

See: https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/faqs/faqs-tv/tveverywhere/how-do-i-use-tv-everywhere.html

Proven Sharer

"TV Anywhere" is very misleading. It's not like other providers that truly allow the full lineup to be viewed no matter where you are. The full lineup is only available on the customer's home network of the service address that actually has the tv subscription (and also has Spectrum internet). That location is the service address in Florida. Outside of that home network, a very limited selection of channels should be available (maybe C-Span, among a few others). 

While in NYC you can use your Spectrum log in credentials for many individual network apps. 

Spectator

None of this matters. After the merger Spectrum is Spectrum, end of story. I should have ONE account instead of 2. The app should know that I HAVE tv service as part of my Spectrum account,.

Spectator

ps... While on my NYC Spectrum internet service I *CAN* login to the app on my laptop or phone and watch 100% of my Tampa channels.

Proven Sharer

If you have two houses and have water, electric, gas, phone to one would you expect the other house to also be connected without it's own service? 

It's all based on service address. 

Spectator

reds91185 wrote:

If you have two houses and have water, electric, gas, phone to one would you expect the other house to also be connected without it's own service? 

It's all based on service address. 

If it was 1985 that might be a good analogy. Those are physical things. I am of course talking about a service that is deleivered over the internet. Do you have Netflix? Notice how you can log in from different addresses? Same concept. And yes, this is how other providers do it. So I guess we can "expect the other house to also be connected without it's own service? "

Proven Sharer

All I'm saying is this is the way Spectrum has chosen to implement it, not what I would like to see. It's a business decision, not a technical question.  At some point Spectrum (and all the other cable companies that do the same) will be forced to rethink things because the younger generation coming up do not know tethers and won't accept them. Netflix and all the other OTT services will force their hand and truly allow "TV Anywhere."

By the way, do you use a VPN while in NYC to your network in Tampa?

Spectator

reds91185 wrote:

By the way, do you use a VPN while in NYC to your network in Tampa?

No. Although in attempt to make this work I connected my Roku to a VZW hotspot. When I do that the Spectrum app asks me to log in but then says "please connect to the Spectrum network t use this app." Which is also ridiculous because I'm supposed to be able to log in from "anywhere" and at least get limited channels according to the website. They're hanging on for dear life trying everything they can to milk every dime from us for as long as they can.

Right now I'm on my laptop, NYC Spectrum wifi, logged in using my Tampa credentials, and casting to my TV. I hope it bothers someone that I can work around.